16R or 4R graduations for a combination square set?

Alan H.

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter
Studying new combination square sets.

What graduation type would you buy, 16R or 4R?

I am leaning toward the 16R for the tenths but would like your opinions. These sets aren't cheap are they?

I guess it would depend if you want to work to tenths or fractions; most everything I do is to fractions, and accordingly, I would pick the 4R graduation; I have one 6" scale with tenths, but hardly ever use it.
It is true that good quality tools are not cheap, but I have seen some combination sets from Brown & Sharpe on E Bay lately for about $140 that are new old stock, and think that is not too much to pay; I'd pay that if I needed one, but already have two that I picked up at an estate sale years ago, new in box. The man was a shop teacher at a local college and had access to surplus from the government ---

I'd choose the 16 r , prints are usually not in fractions even if they are they're easily found converting . I have both , but for doing layout work prefer the 16 r . It's as close to metric I get. If I were to buy another square blade now I'd get a metric . But having up to 36" blades now I don't see any in my future unless there dirt cheap..

I'd choose the 16 r , prints are usually not in fractions even if they are they're easily found converting . I have both , but for doing layout work prefer the 16 r . It's as close to metric I get. If I were to buy another square blade now I'd get a metric . But having up to 36" blades now I don't see any in my future unless there dirt cheap..
Thanks SB -
Yeap, you can always buy another blade and swap them around. But they are not dirt cheap, least not what I have found!

I went with 4R cause it was cheaper. 4R is more common & easier to find, my set was too great of a deal to pass up. And if you consider resale value, 4R is better cause it won't be just machinist who would be interested. Not having tenths for my square set doesn't bother me at all.

But if I'm buying scales I go for 16R. My most used scale is a 6" 16R hook scale.

I think it just depends on what you were brought up with; if from the aircraft industry it would ne decimals, if it were heavy industry (my upbringing) it is fractions.

Alan, if you buy one of these from Starrett, look for the 434 series. These have forged and hardened heads and will stay accurate longer. You can tell them apart from the 435 series by the paint; the 434 series has a black glossy surface, while the 435 series has a satin finish.

I have several of these things and while they're cool and all, I really only use my little 4" Lufkin hardened combination square and centering head. I do own a hardened square from Bridge City Tools - accurate and a work of art. I bought the thing and rarely ever used it; I just look at it from time to time. How stupid is that?

Insofar as the graduations are concerned, I only use the 4R. I find the 16R too fine to see without magnification and if I want to go that accurate, I won't be using a combination square to do it. I think these tools are great for wood working but for metalworking, there are other tools that are more useful.

I went with 4R cause it was cheaper. 4R is more common & easier to find, my set was too great of a deal to pass up. And if you consider resale value, 4R is better cause it won't be just machinist who would be interested. Not having tenths for my square set doesn't bother me at all.

But if I'm buying scales I go for 16R. My most used scale is a 6" 16R hook scale.

Thanks Will, yes 4R is substantially cheaper isn't it? Not sure why there is such a difference though.

What hook scale do you use?

Alan, if you buy one of these from Starrett, look for the 434 series. These have forged and hardened heads and will stay accurate longer. You can tell them apart from the 435 series by the paint; the 434 series has a black glossy surface, while the 435 series has a satin finish.

I have several of these things and while they're cool and all, I really only use my little 4" Lufkin hardened combination square and centering head. I do own a hardened square from Bridge City Tools - accurate and a work of art. I bought the thing and rarely ever used it; I just look at it from time to time. How stupid is that?

Insofar as the graduations are concerned, I only use the 4R. I find the 16R too fine to see without magnification and if I want to go that accurate, I won't be using a combination square to do it. I think these tools are great for wood working but for metalworking, there are other tools that are more useful.
Mike, but I got a brand spanking new Opitivisor with Loop that you catalyzed me buying! Seeing is not problem!

Yes the Starrett C434-12-16R or 4R is are on my list.

I think it just depends on what you were brought up with; if from the aircraft industry it would ne decimals, if it were heavy industry (my upbringing) it is fractions.

I am a woodworker - so I have done a lot of fractions. I am now messing with machining and doing decimals and fractions. So I am conflicted!

Back