17x80 Clausing Chauster from MA to GA

FowlerBlades

Registered
Registered
Won an auction on a 17x80 Clausing Chauster in Southbridge Massachusetts.

I've tried contacting a couple of random web search riggers but haven't had any luck

I need to get the machine to Acworth, GA.

any ideas? according to lathes.co.uk I think the machine weighs around 3k lb

17x80 Clausing Chauster
I do not see a Chauster model, I do see a Colchester.

I think the machine weighs around 3k lb
Estimates of weight of 17x80 Colchester lathes range from 5040 to 6000 pounds online, which I would consider about right. 3000 pounds seems much too light for a lathe of that size and made by Clausing. My time is worth less to me than my money, so I would rent an appropriate sized drop deck trailer and go get it. Rigger$ are expen$ive...

There has to be trucker that would be able to make a run or a return trip from that area . . Look up a small trucking company near there and ask . If they can load the lathe ,,,the seller,,, most long haul firms don't worry about that amount of weight. If you do it yourself call there to rent the trailer and see if threes a drop off place near you. Just a thought

This is not the type of machine for a novice to move.

Well the logistics problems with a lathe of this size are basically crating, loading and unloading. Certainly the lathe has to be around 5-6k in weight. But you can reduce that by 2000 pounds maybe, by taking off the tailstock, chucks, motors etc. so a more manageable figure for palatizing and lifting might be 4000#, with all the extras on separate pallets. Still to much to off load with a lift gate truck. (3500# max weight on the big lift gates).

But doable. You just need to adopt your best strategy for going to get it and bringing it home once it's in the neighborhood.

Good luck. Sounds like a great project.

Glenn

I'd be curious to know what the shipping will be when you find a trucker. Like Silverbullet said find a trucker who was going to return to Atlanta empty, other than that go to get it yourself. I'd be very concerned about the lathe tipping over because it wasn't skidded correctly. Who is going to crate it?

I'd be curious to know what the shipping will be when you find a trucker. Like Silverbullet said find a trucker who was going to return to Atlanta empty, other than that go to get it yourself. I'd be very concerned about the lathe tipping over because it wasn't skidded correctly. Who is going to crate it?

I've had stuff shipped all over the country in the last few years. Lathe, cylindrical grinder, even a 1/4 scale steam locomotive. Roadrunner was a good, competitive freight consolidator at one point. Might still be. Main thing I discovered, you need to get accurate weights and dimensions, then call different freight consolidators and get quotes. Quotes I received varied as much as 100% or more with different companies, on every item I have shipped. Eventually I selected one small size forwarder and have shipped three or four times with them, at the lowest price I could get anywhere. The consolidators are more likely to arrange a back haul to your advantage, if they want your business and you talk to them about it. If not keep looking.

-G

Back