1820 Logan first repairs

John TV

Registered
Registered
So I started working on the Logan 1820 lathe, switched motors to a 1 hp I had in the shop. Noticed the pulley coming off the small motor was not factory or close. Both pulleys smaller by far than the 2.3" and 4.28" recommended by Logan. Can't afford a nhew Logan replacement at $169 so I looked online and still don't see anything close. Any thoughts from you folks? making one may be my best option but skills are still weak and time is short.

Second issue, I broke the small flat spring that keeps the belt guard closed. Looked for info on making flat springs and did not find anything that seemed to show actual process. Any ideas on flat spring making?

Third question, what are your thoughts for flat belt replacement with a link-belt?

Lots to do and lots to learn, you folks are a great resource, thank you for your thoughts.

John in Minnesota

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a lot of motors with pulleys on them . I'll be out in the garage all day tomorrow ( I hope ) but will check what's in the masses .

That would by awesome if you find something close with a 5/8" keyed hole, let me know what you would like for it, would help get this old girl running a lot quicker. Thanks. John in Minnesota

I have bunch of them but not sure what size they are . :) I DO know where they are though , so I'm better off than I was last week . :grin:

hi john pablo recovering from pace maker install call me after monday bandage removal should be up and reran to go

Flat springs; I just made a couple of them for a patternmaker's vise for the dogs, I made them from high carbon steel banding, about ,050 X 2", I formed them cold, and did not worry about heat treatment, they are hard enough as is. Otherwise, buy annealed W-1 or 0-1, form the spring shape, heat to red and quench; if the W-1 steel is oil quenched, it might not need to have the temper drawn, otherwise, harden and draw at 600 deg, or blue temper with either steel. Generally, W-1 is water quenched, 0-1 is oil quenched.

john metal supermarket for a slug of choice the atlas and broach set your press should be a go cant drive till monday dont panic im close

There's a Logan 10" pulley with a .625 bore on Ebay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Logan-lath...584479?hash=item3d8c85ce9f:g:t~8AAOSwSCRc99O9. Would that do it?

My belt guard had a broken spring when I bought my lathe. My quick and dirty fix was to turn a brass pin and buy an O-ring at the hardware
store. It's a bit ghetto, but completely secure.

Logan sells a flat belt with a link in it if you don't want to pull the spindle out of the headstock. I don't think that link belts on
a flat belt pulley are going to work, it that's what you mean. If you're willing to pull the spindle, Logan sells a glued flat belt, or you
can use an automotive serpentine belt. There's nothing wrong with flat belts.

Thanks for all the responses,

Flat springsI think I can do that,a great help,

Link belt, just a thought, saw a post by somewhere where it seemed to work fine but flat belts are long lived and proven so likely go in that direction.

Ebay pulley, they say it's for 10 inch bench cabinet model lathe but Logan site recommends 4.28" large pulley and the eBay one is 5.25. Is that too much difference, could I switch pulleys without a motor tension change, I don't think I know,? Any thoughts?

Pablo, thanks, lets talk after you mend awhile, and glad to hear you are on the mend. I'm really not in that much of a hurry to get her up and running it just I'm so slow it's time to get started, nothing urgent. Let's talk in a week or so.

Time to go to my real job. Have to keep paying the bills

Again thanks for all your responses.

John in Minnesota

Ebay pulley, they say it's for 10 inch bench cabinet model lathe but Logan site recommends 4.28" large pulley and the eBay one is 5.25. Is that too much difference, could I switch pulleys without a motor tension change, I don't think I know,? Any thoughts?

You might try to do the math and figure out what difference in speeds that would make. I'm not sure about your lathe, but Scott
Logan told me that on the Model 200 (10") there were two different sets of motor pulleys, though he didn't know when they changed,
and it isn't clear from part numbers. I have what I think is the original counter shaft pulley with the later motor pulley that they sell
now. I have to re-tension the belt if I change the pulley, though that really isn't a big deal. 5.25" sounds pretty large though: I wonder
if it's really from a 10" lathe at all. Could be from something else. If you aren't in a hurry, you could just keep watching Ebay.

Edit: There are three 2.50 x 5.25 Logan pulleys on Ebay right now. One of them is described as from an 11" lathe. Wouldn't surprise
me if the other one isn't really from a 10" machine.

Last edited:
Back