1820 Logan first repairs

The 1820, by memory, has a 2 step v-belt pulley coming off the motor to a 2 step flat pulley at the countershaft. Then a flat belt from the countershaft to the spindle. Is that correct?

Conversion from flat to link/v-belt from the countershaft to the spindle is a kinda big deal. Nothing wrong with flat belts for that machine. Agree with nogoingback, the Logan belt is made for that machine, and the 'link' is just to tie the two ends together, i.e., it is not a continuous belt which would require you to pull the spindle, nor is it a fenner style link belt (google it). Same term 'link' for two different kinds of belts. If your machine is all v-belt, then the fenner style link belt is a good way to go. Fenner is a higher cost brand of link belt, other places sell the cheaper import link belt, Grizzly I think has them.

Alternately, if your existing pulleys work, why not leave them in place until you have the skills to make your own pulleys to the correct size. Maybe run it in back gears if the speed is too fast. If the bore doesn't fit the new motor, you may be able to drill and file to make it work. That way you can use the machine while making/finding the correct sizes.

I once had a Logan 200 that had one pulley off what looked like an auto, maybe an old Buick. Machine worked ok, by memory, I just didn't have a high and low range, only low? And the motor was just kind of hanging out back resting on the peg leg, I don't recall if the adjustment for motor tension was a big deal. Used it until I found a replacement pulley of approximately the correct size and steps.

So I looked up my serial number and was puzzled, seems I have a 1947 Logan model 820 not a model 1820. A closer look at a slightly cleaned up "model plate" shows a stamped 820 but there is also a stamped additional symbol I thought was a "1" but may be a small "10" not sure. Either way very similar lathes. Looks like the 200 and the 820 are similar too.

From some crude measuring and using an online pulley calculator I think the pulley size is 2.33 and 4.28 the size of most Logan 10" lathes per Logan site. Think I will just make one. Math doesn't work out perfectly but close enough.

Thanks again for your help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just had a look at the 1944 Logan catalog, which lists the 820. It shows motor pulley diameters of 2 3/8 and 4", which is the
same as the Model 200 of the same year. Spindle speeds are identical. Either pulley would probably work just fine, though
you might have to re-tension after a pulley change. No big deal.

I'm betting the 5.25" pulley on eBay is an 11" pulley after all, and not suitable.

Edit: I just measured my (later) pulley: 2.31 - 4.28".

Last edited:
Back