1920? Potter and Johnston 24 inch Shaper.

Cyclebuster

Registered
Registered
So i got it today. some minor damage very old, looks non critical. Its otherwise all here, looks like a line shaft converted to a electric drive, with a hand clutch. maybe a factory job, and it could be newer. what a monster. Has a 4 speed box inline. All the surfaces are greased. looks to have been stored properly. I will repower it this week and fire it up.

Ok boys and girls here we go. Its got a key slot attachment on the clapper, and no tool holder. I did , however find a roughed in tool holder blank on ebay that will fit right in. everything seems to work, so far. The external bevel gears and lead screw are missing for the table elevator, but the f/r shuttle gears and internal shafts are there, and in good shape. This model machine has power down feed, optional power rotating head to form convex corners, power table elevator, external travel adjust, along with the usual things. It has a 480v 3ph motor, which is going bye bye, i have a 4hp 220 motor i will install. the 480v motor has a 5 inch pulley on it, and runs 1725 rpm. The 4 hp has a 2.5 in pulley and runs 3450, so its going to be close to same speed. I cannot get 3ph here economically, so its 1ph for everything. it has a rotating twin surface table, and the secondary table has a worm driven tilt feature. The basic model of this machine has 3 pulleys and belt drive. The factory electric unit model is driven from the back side, so this is likely been adapted, as it now has a over center clutch drive, from a 4 speed gear box, to the electric motor. Again it may just be a newer model, on the same 1912 ish main frame. I will repair the casting for the table worm support, by grinding it flat and square, and fitting a trunnion cap. it looks like the table has fallen from lack of a elevator shaft. I will be converting it to hydraulic, the previous owners used a gantry to raise and lower the table. At least they didnt weld on it, like most neanderthals. BTW, that is an 18 in vise.

Attachments

• IMG_20200127_100942.jpg
    IMG_20200127_100942.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 248
  • IMG_20200127_100952.jpg
    IMG_20200127_100952.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 226
  • IMG_20200127_100959.jpg
    IMG_20200127_100959.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 201
  • IMG_20200127_101007.jpg
    IMG_20200127_101007.jpg
    980.8 KB · Views: 213
  • IMG_20200127_101017.jpg
    IMG_20200127_101017.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 207
  • IMG_20200127_101037.jpg
    IMG_20200127_101037.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 216
Very cool. The auto down feed is a great feature to have. I wish my G&E had it.

With the square ram ways, original lineshaft configuration and no table support, I would date that machine earlier, probably closer to 1900. It also looks a bit lightly built for a 24" shaper, which also dates it as older. Pretty much all machines got heavier for their capacity over time, at least up to the 1930's or 40's, where they pretty much maxed out. For reference, my 24" Cincinnati weighs in at about 6500 lbs, and it's the standard duty, the heavy duty version is considerably heavier. I think mine dates to the 1940s, it was in the navy so quite possibly shipboard.

SO.. I removed all the old grease and grime from the internal gears, cleaned the ways and ram slide surfaces, cleaned out the oiling holes, lubed it up, and this thing works smooth as silk. power table feed and tool down feed work fine. i cleaned all the vernier scales, lubed up the tool feed, it all works good. I scrubbed and lubed the table ways, jack screw shaft, and it works as well, however its really work moving that table anywhere, i dont think i will do that for fun. the 1914 model says it has a roller bearing table... well this isnt. So if i ever see one, i will get it, not likely. Could still be grime, i see one of the gib screws wont move, so they could have tightened them to hold it stationary, as it looks like it only had one job for along time. I was wrong, the vise is only 15 inches opening. And no name anywhere so far. Odd someone would make that giant iron vise and put no name on it. Stranger still is the mounting. its got 4 bolts with home made j clamps going into t nuts pushed against the table, it dont line up. However it has a key cut into the vice to hold it in place. Odd they put the time into that, but not making it bolt on. I also found, that with maximum wedge, it will go down .060 at a whack. not measured the maximum cross travel yet, the holder for the pushrod needs work n both corners to get maximum, its fine for me until i get it fixed. If you center the ram, the travel stroke is easy to adjust. Over all i think this will work just fine. i have to sharpen the push levers and the gears a bit from wear, but thats simple. I did , however find that the drive gears for the ram position feed are completely junk and gone. i was bummed out, until i looked on ebay and found 14 pages of bevel gear sets. Of course the shafts are .620. not .625. not metric. Bogus. now i need to remove the top lead screw and change that. I dont like the odds of my finding a .620 drill anywhere.

Even cleaned up those tables are a bear to move by hand on a larger shaper. I completely disassembled and cleaned my G&E 16" and the table is still no joy to move by hand. Speaking of, the vise does look similar to my G&E vise, but not exactly. Then again, a lot of those vises looked similar.

While i was working on it, i found this

Attachments

• IMG_20200128_235438.jpg
    IMG_20200128_235438.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 184
While i was working on it, i found this

That will come in handy, you said you needed bevel gears for the table, just call the operator and have them patch you through to the company switchboard :)

I found the table gibs were tightened by king kong. i suspect it was a single purpose machine for a long time. I loosened them, and traversing is now a one hand job, but still not my idea of fun.. maybe after a few more laps left and right, while my arms grow 6 inches it will be easier. i got the correct tool holder in the mail, now i need to finish it, as its only a casting. minor base cleanup to fit in the clapper, and then i need to open the tool slot 1/16 in. Then i need to drill and tap the lock bolt, any ideas what thread? i am thinking 1/2 fine.

Back