1922 patent date Peerless chain hoist

something that may help someone else, when I got this it would only turn in the up direction. I assumed that something was broken or stuck that would reveal itself in disassembly. did not see anything wrong and when I reassembled it still would only turn in one direction. took it apart again and realized that there is a worm screw shaft and brake mechanism inside the gear that looked like it was welded on. put a punch in the small hole and it easily unscrewed. inside was a thick fiber disc, likely asbestos which was all gunked up. cleaned everything and it is working again.

when the cranking chain is pulled in the up direction the worm gear tightens the 2 machined surfaces PXL_20210729_191218768_LI.jpgPXL_20210802_151831034.jpgon the braking disc and allows a load to be lifted. a dog mechanism keeps it from falling back down. when you tug on the cranking chain in the down direction the brake disengages and allows the mechanism to lower the object being lifted.

Very nice. Yes it is a machine.
Keep up the good work!
You do realize that the patent date is not necessarily the build or casting date.

Back