1938 Pontiac Hood Ornament Rescue

pdentrem

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Spotted this Indian Chief hood ornament at a road side sale and it has been there awhile. It was getting lost in the clutter and I could not let it just disappear into the recycle bin.
Pierre1DF27D56-5E23-462E-890C-0CB5106D16D3.jpeg53E3F957-DF27-4593-AC0A-054070082791.jpeg

So are you going to re plate/restore it? Just curious as I have some chromed pieces that are pitted and would like to see if there is a DIY for restoration.

The repairs can be done at home but the chrome has to go to a plating shop. Basically you work the surface to remove the small pits and fill the big one. Most shops will do a heavy copper and sand/file back to get a good surface and do it again as required, with chrome last. Expensive at times.
Pierre

Well if you've got the budget look into this. I saw it being used on *****in rides and also Jay Leno's Garage. Seems to be enough material in the kit to start a small chrome business.

Chrome shops are almost a dime a dozen int he states. Here in Canada, they are few and far between and prohibitively expensive. They are aso regulated to within an inch of their life due to the chemicals used.

I've actually paid for shipping, brokerage, exchange and border taxes/duties for a chrome bumper out of the states and it was still cheaper than sending the original to a re-plater in country (they were in Quebec).

Spray chrome process is neat and looks pretty good, but you can tell it's not real chrome when you get closer than 10 feet or so.

You could strip the chrome, polish it up, copper plate then nickel plate all at home. Then polish the nickel plate. Would get you close to chrome.

You could strip the chrome, polish it up, copper plate then nickel plate all at home. Then polish the nickel plate. Would get you close to chrome.
I'd argue that polished nickel would look better.

On my ‘36 Chrysler it is a mix of chrome and nickeled parts.
Pierre

What we call "chrome" actually is nickle. Or at least the finish/color/shine we all think of when we say "chrome".

Chrome itself is clear, the nickle finish shows through it and give the shiny metallic, reflective look. The chrome coat locks in the shiny nickle finish so it doesn't tarnish like weathered nickle does.

Same idea as base/clearcoat paint....

Back