[4]

1938 South Bend 9" Model C Restoration

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

SubtleHustle

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member ($10)
Ok, so I am not the most web literate guy, for sure, so I hope it is ok to post this here. I am just about done with my lathe restoration, and I want somewhere to hopefully get some constructive feedback, and maybe some tips....but mostly to show it off. This is my first restoration, and I really put my all into it. The only thing that's bothering me now about it, is the few dings on the bed and ways, I am just completely unsure what to do about them. They don't affect the lathes performance, it is still well within tolerance, but cosmetically, they are driving me mad! I have replaced all of the lubricating wicks, throughout the machine, and polished all of the visible pieces of hardware to a mirror shine. 20181001_210725.jpg Any rate, here are my most recent pics of the lathe. Enjoy. 20181001_211252.jpg 20181001_211252.jpg 20181001_211512.jpg 20181001_211407.jpg 20181001_204531.jpg 20180930_204436.jpg 20180929_161740.jpg 20181001_205540.jpg 20181001_204158.jpg

Attachments

SubtleHustle

Oh, and it also has the gear cover, I am just waiting on the arrival of my threading gears and lubrication nameplates to arrive, before I put it back on. The "South Bend" nameplate on the bed is original, I just restored it. It was completely brass colored before I put my paws on it. 20180905_192104.jpg

Surprman

Active User
Registered
Wow - really nice job! I stressed a bit about the first couple scratches on my new paint, but unless it is a museum piece it is going to happen. What I like is the fact that all those scratches are mine - not somebody else’s. It is a reflection of my work on the tool. I noticed that you did not put felt in the two off-center holes in the tumbler gears - I think the felt is supposed to allow oil lubrication but prevent swarf from entering. Also there are git oil caps that will fit on the counter balance shaft bearings (I mention that, but to date, I have not gotten the yet either ). They are far enough from the action and the felt keeps the swarf out good enough. I would paint the inside of the change gears if you have a chance - they look nice hanging up on the wall (instead of the traditional “cone stack”), but that is just aesthetics. I’ve also painted my accessories I’ve picked up (steady and follower rests) to match my lathe.

Again great restoration job!

Rick

SubtleHustle

I am sure some purist will say "that's not a south bend original color!", and your right, but it's my favorite color. If I owned south bend, back then, they'd all be this
Wow - really nice job! I stressed a bit about the first couple scratches on my new paint, but unless it is a museum piece it is going to happen. What I like is the fact that all those scratches are mine - not somebody else’s. It is a reflection of my work on the tool. I noticed that you did not put felt in the two off-center holes in the tumbler gears - I think the felt is supposed to allow oil lubrication but prevent swarf from entering. Also there are git oil caps that will fit on the counter balance shaft bearings (I mention that, but to date, I have not gotten the yet either ). They are far enough from the action and the felt keeps the swarf out good enough. I would paint the inside of the change gears if you have a chance - they look nice hanging up on the wall (instead of the traditional “cone stack”), but that is just aesthetics. I’ve also painted my accessories I’ve picked up (steady and follower rests) to match my lathe.

Again great restoration job!

Rick
I'm glad that you mentioned the felt in the twin gears hole. I actually was unsure if they were supposed to be in there. I installed 1, then didn't think it looked right. So I removed it. So, thank you. I will put those back in.

SubtleHustle

Lol, thought I deleted the first part of that response. Was gonna post it earlier, then "thought" I deleted it...shows my lack of tech savvy!

Boswell

Hobby Machinist since 2010
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
what a beautiful restoration. I like the color and the brass labels will really pop.

Superburban

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
Nothing wrong with what ever color you want. Several of my power tools are painted various metallic colors.

I like it. I would not sweat the dings. I have heard of people filling them in with epoxies, Jb weld, solder, play around, and find something that matches the best. Best of all, enjoy what you do.

Attachments

hman

Active User
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
Sweet!

dulltool17

Active User
Registered
That would be a beautiful machine in any color!
You've done an outstanding job.

SubtleHustle

One in the same, I am ready to start my next restoration, maybe something a bit bigger. You must live near me! My wife says I'm crazy for wanting to sell it now, but it truly made me happy doing it... so I'm kinda bummed that done.

SubtleHustle

That it's done* might try to find a heavy 10 next time... I love SBs though, so will deffinately get another.

SubtleHustle

It's also posted on vintage machinery site.

SubtleHustle

Just got my nameplates in, they are going to look amazing! Compliments to Jim Kull, for an outstanding job on the reproduction. They're perfect 20181003_183940.jpg

SubtleHustle

Any idea of the original measurements from the edges, that these are supposed to be placed? This gear cover only had 4 holes, basically centered. But I know a lot of lathes had them layed out similar to this pic.
20181003_184607.jpg

SubtleHustle

Sigh, just sold it....bitter sweet...oh well, guess I get to do a second one now. It was excellent practice! Gonna miss her though!

[6]
[5] [7]