1938 South Bend 9" Model C Restoration

SubtleHustle

Registered
Registered
Ok, so I am not the most web literate guy, for sure, so I hope it is ok to post this here. I am just about done with my lathe restoration, and I want somewhere to hopefully get some constructive feedback, and maybe some tips....but mostly to show it off. This is my first restoration, and I really put my all into it. The only thing that's bothering me now about it, is the few dings on the bed and ways, I am just completely unsure what to do about them. They don't affect the lathes performance, it is still well within tolerance, but cosmetically, they are driving me mad! I have replaced all of the lubricating wicks, throughout the machine, and polished all of the visible pieces of hardware to a mirror shine. 20181001_210725.jpgAny rate, here are my most recent pics of the lathe. Enjoy.20181001_211252.jpg20181001_211252.jpg20181001_211512.jpg20181001_211407.jpg20181001_204531.jpg20180930_204436.jpg20180929_161740.jpg20181001_205540.jpg20181001_204158.jpg

20181001_210633.jpg

Oh, and it also has the gear cover, I am just waiting on the arrival of my threading gears and lubrication nameplates to arrive, before I put it back on. The "South Bend" nameplate on the bed is original, I just restored it. It was completely brass colored before I put my paws on it.20180905_192104.jpg

Wow - really nice job! I stressed a bit about the first couple scratches on my new paint, but unless it is a museum piece it is going to happen. What I like is the fact that all those scratches are mine - not somebody else’s. It is a reflection of my work on the tool. I noticed that you did not put felt in the two off-center holes in the tumbler gears - I think the felt is supposed to allow oil lubrication but prevent swarf from entering. Also there are git oil caps that will fit on the counter balance shaft bearings (I mention that, but to date, I have not gotten the yet either ). They are far enough from the action and the felt keeps the swarf out good enough. I would paint the inside of the change gears if you have a chance - they look nice hanging up on the wall (instead of the traditional “cone stack”), but that is just aesthetics. I’ve also painted my accessories I’ve picked up (steady and follower rests) to match my lathe.

Again great restoration job!

Rick

I am sure some purist will say "that's not a south bend original color!", and your right, but it's my favorite color. If I owned south bend, back then, they'd all be this
Wow - really nice job! I stressed a bit about the first couple scratches on my new paint, but unless it is a museum piece it is going to happen. What I like is the fact that all those scratches are mine - not somebody else’s. It is a reflection of my work on the tool. I noticed that you did not put felt in the two off-center holes in the tumbler gears - I think the felt is supposed to allow oil lubrication but prevent swarf from entering. Also there are git oil caps that will fit on the counter balance shaft bearings (I mention that, but to date, I have not gotten the yet either ). They are far enough from the action and the felt keeps the swarf out good enough. I would paint the inside of the change gears if you have a chance - they look nice hanging up on the wall (instead of the traditional “cone stack”), but that is just aesthetics. I’ve also painted my accessories I’ve picked up (steady and follower rests) to match my lathe.

Again great restoration job!

Rick
I'm glad that you mentioned the felt in the twin gears hole. I actually was unsure if they were supposed to be in there. I installed 1, then didn't think it looked right. So I removed it. So, thank you. I will put those back in.

Lol, thought I deleted the first part of that response. Was gonna post it earlier, then "thought" I deleted it...shows my lack of tech savvy!

what a beautiful restoration. I like the color and the brass labels will really pop.

Nothing wrong with what ever color you want. Several of my power tools are painted various metallic colors.

I like it. I would not sweat the dings. I have heard of people filling them in with epoxies, Jb weld, solder, play around, and find something that matches the best. Best of all, enjoy what you do.

12478-C.jpg

That would be a beautiful machine in any color!
You've done an outstanding job.

Back