1939 Delta Drill Press

Glenn Brooks

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
IMG_1194.JPG
View attachment 137623 View attachment 137617 View attachment 137618 View attachment 137619 View attachment 137620 View attachment 137621 View attachment 137622

My boy called me from an estate sale today and said "dad, do you want another drill press?" I said no, then he texted me a photo and I said "buy it and wait for me, I just left the house and am on the way over."

So now I have this almost immaculate Delta drill press sitting in my shop. The serial number (5-1768) indicates it was made pre -1940. The original manual that came with it is dated 1937, as are the patent dates on the manufacturers plate. So Iam thinking it was purchased locally here in Washington between 1937 and 1939.

I put a dial indicator on the spindle and measured .002" runout on the chuck ( my other Delta dp220 has .017" runout). And what is most amazing, the column and spindle look new, as do the decals from the hardware store where purchased. This thing shines like it has been buffed and polished - up in the head casting where no one one can reach without a complete tear down. The old timer who owned the machine kept it inside his house in a heated small shop built into a downstairs spare bedroom - probably all its life. He installed a little stainless/polished chrome pull rod on the starter switch, and a sanding disk on the bottom of the motor. Also has an apparently original chrome light attached to the side of the head.

Anyway, Iam amazed at the condition. And now wondering what to do with four drill presses.

Here are some pics...

View attachment 137624 View attachment 137623 View attachment 137617 View attachment 137618 View attachment 137619 View attachment 137620 View attachment 137621 View attachment 137622

My boy called me from an estate sale today and said "dad, do you want another drill press?" I said no, then he texted me a photo and I said "buy it and wait for me, I just left the house and am on the way over."

So now I have this almost immaculate Delta drill press sitting in my shop. The serial number (5-1768) indicates it was made pre -1940. The original manual that came with it is dated 1937, as are the patent dates on the manufacturers plate. So Iam thinking it was purchased locally here in Washington between 1937 and 1939.

I put a dial indicator on the spindle and measured .002" runout on the chuck ( my other Delta dp220 has .017" runout). And what is most amazing, the column and spindle look new, as do the decals from the hardware store where purchased. This thing shines like it has been buffed and polished - up in the head casting where no one one can reach without a complete tear down. The old timer who owned the machine kept it inside his house in a heated small shop built into a downstairs spare bedroom - probably all its life. He installed a little stainless/polished chrome pull rod on the starter switch, and a sanding disk on the bottom of the motor. Also has an apparently original chrome light attached to the side of the head.

Anyway, Iam amazed at the condition. And now wondering what to do with four drill presses.

Here are some pics...
Great find! That DP will last another 77 yrs.

Back