1940 Oldsmobile my day job. What's yours?

I'm currently working on a 1951 Ford F2... 3/4 ton long bed truck.

As I bought it...

20160823_115041.jpg

I am doing a frame- off restomod... installing a 302 v8, AOD transmission, power steering, and power disc/drum brakes.

I'm in the middle of doing the body work on the cab, I had to replace the passenger side cab corner and both rear corners...

20170125_134150.jpg

I've got the chassis mostly finished...

20170105_144601.jpg

And I'm installing a '69 Mustang gas tank under the bed...

20170301_094904.jpg

It's keeping me busy...

-Bear

Its not the painting that wears me out, its the prep work. Looks great! What type of paint did you use and whats the color?
I have been down with the flu and have not been on in a bit..I use DuPont for the most part I get great pricing thru oreillys high solids 465 clear its 2 to 1 and very nice product for the price the color is my own house red really its the straight tint with only a few grams of maroon to lesson orange a bit.
Thanks DK

I have been down with the flu and have not been on in a bit..I use DuPont for the most part I get great pricing thru oreillys high solids 465 clear its 2 to 1 and very nice product for the price the color is my own house red really its the straight tint with only a few grams of maroon to lesson orange a bit.
Thanks DK

My truck is a single stage PPG "Cherry Red" and I know what you mean about the orange. Under artificial lighting mine can look pumpkin orange.

Red is tough, this is 1985 Alfa Romeo code 530, on my 69 Bird. It was the least orange/red at the time. I painted with RM Alphacryl Lacquer and K2 Urethane clear, in 85. The image is from yesterday, it's held up well. Took it out for a spin. A 400 with a 400 Trans is a thing to behold when its intake roar matches the exhaust note.

the bird.JPG

400.JPG

I'd love to do a complete body off on a Studebaker pickup. Your paint job s wonderful , looks like emron but I bet it isn't that stuff was great but pure murder if not correct. I like the thirties cars but trucks better. Thanks for sharing show more.

I shot a lot of Imron in the 70s. I worked my way through school at a large body shop in Stanislaus County. The head painter spent a week in the hospital from shooting Imron without a respirator, we did not know any better. The polyisocynate hardener caused chemical phenomena. Imron was the first generation of its type and DuPont did not warn us of the possible side effects. We switched to RM products as their hardeners were not so aggressive. We used cartridge respirators that leaked like a screen door in those days. Then they came out with full hood respirators so we could use Imron and its prodigy safely. We also started wearing gloves as it turned out that stuff got into your system right though your skin. I love the 30s trucks too. My first frame off was a 34 Ford with a flat head V8. but I let I go during the great recession of 73-75 to make house payments. I do have a " late" model Ford that is due for a frame off. It is a 1973 F250 stock Highboy.

Attachments

• birdfront.MOV
    6.6 MB · Views: 5
Back