1940 South Bend 11" 111B 105014 IQR Rebuild By Ulma Doctor

Hey Ulma,

Like your lathe flat belt drive, I have been taken to task , by "experts" , for wasting precious time repairing a machine of an outdated pattern, when sitting across from it I have a really nice Myford , A make of lathe which superseded it as regards the general British home shop guy from the late fifties onwards, But it is little pattern of machine upon which was made superb model engines and other lovely things in its day.

Ah, yes...rivet counters and Inspector Meticulous as LBSC used to say.

I started in the hobby with an ancient 3" Atlas/Craftsman - a machine with few virtues and less rigidity. made parts on it for a long time, then upgraded to a Myford ML10. THis got joined by a South Bend 9, which has just been replaced with another (tired headstock).

Have I done uneconomical repairs? All the time. I restore old British iron as a primary hobby (Land-Rovers). Done more parts recon there than was ever worth the effort - except for the fact that I COULD do it and enjoyed every minute. If you enjoy it and it works, more power to you, and to all of us.

Ah, yes...rivet counters and Inspector Meticulous as LBSC used to say.
I started in the hobby with an ancient 3" Atlas/Craftsman - a machine with few virtues and less rigidity. made parts on it for a long time, then upgraded to a Myford ML10. THis got joined by a South Bend 9, which has just been replaced with another (tired headstock).
Have I done uneconomical repairs? All the time. I restore old British iron as a primary hobby (Land-Rovers). Done more parts recon there than was ever worth the effort - except for the fact that I COULD do it and enjoyed every minute. If you enjoy it and it works, more power to you, and to all of us.
Hi Al,
thank you for reading!
it's very nice to hear that i'm not the only one that loves old iron!

i also wanted to echo many previous postings by others with a recipe for Col. Ed's Red Antirust
1 part Automatic Transmission Fluid
1 part Kerosene
1 part Mineral Spirits
1 part Acetone

Mix and apply to parts to be protected, be cautious the mix is most likely flammable and it has a paint removal quality!
Eds red also has lanolin in it I think . At least the recipe I have on file. Good gun cleaner I used it extensively during years of gun cleaning at trap shoots. Or maybe you add that to make it gun cleaner. What ever it's good stuff.

i was doing a parts search and i found an interesting seller who has the drive belting on EBAY

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/e11401.m1842.l3160/7?euid=ec9d564a001d456a9dccc62b8b4bd93a&loc=http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330737677697&ssPageName=ADME:L:OU:US:3160&exe=10013&ext=100025&sojTags=exe=exe,ext=ext

i measured with a piece of string, around the flat countershaft middle pulley, to the spindle flat middle pulley and the tension handle about 7/8 of the way towards tight.
i got a measurement of 63" for the underdrive system.
i have all the adjusters more or less set to their midpoints so i have plenty of adjustment longer or shorter in case the belt stretches or lands shorter than anticipated., i know they used to come with leather belts that stretched quite a bit. the new belt is multilayer and synthetic hopefully a winning combo,
any belt input would be appreciated from the readers, i'm trying this belt on the merit of it's cost only.
i considered a newer rubber belt but i'm trying to keep the spirit of the old way with the metal laced belt, i think it looks cooler.
suggestions anyone?
thanks for reading!!
It depends on what you want. Leather can be found , there's a guy online that has leather like 66 cents a square inch. I asked for a price on ten ft of 1 1/4"x 10' About $90.00 , I need two for the planer. I just found a roll of 1" for 25' cost me a $99.00 on eBay. There's a roll of two inch on there for about the same . If you want ill get the number. Ulma if you want I can lace it or even loan my vise model just pay the shipping. If I have any left over on my planer rebuild I plan on offering to make some logan belts to sell. Real leather belting , the one roll says waterproof looks to be layered . And over 1/4" thick. Nice looking roll I'd invest to sell but my investments now are too many.

Man can not live on Bread alone....

One of my favs. Yumm
crfix12cod-jpg.52515

i justified it as eating brain food for the learning experience....:lmao:

View attachment 52515

Hey, Ulma, have you sourced wicks and felts for Henrietta? Ive got mine apart and am cleaning it up. I have the headstock, tailstock, apron, saddle, quickchange gear box, lead screw, and tray and legs off. Worked on the saddle today. Tubalcain and some of the other youtube guys are invaluable.

I have to ask. Did this ever get finished? Just found this thread tonight after i msgd you when i found your original one that got abandoned. Love seeing the work you have put in!

Back