1940 South Bend 11" 111B 105014 IQR Rebuild By Ulma Doctor

i was doing a parts search and i found an interesting seller who has the drive belting on EBAY

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/e1140...&exe=10013&ext=100025&sojTags=exe=exe,ext=ext

i measured with a piece of string, around the flat countershaft middle pulley, to the spindle flat middle pulley and the tension handle about 7/8 of the way towards tight.
i got a measurement of 63" for the underdrive system.
i have all the adjusters more or less set to their midpoints so i have plenty of adjustment longer or shorter in case the belt stretches or lands shorter than anticipated., i know they used to come with leather belts that stretched quite a bit. the new belt is multilayer and synthetic hopefully a winning combo,
any belt input would be appreciated from the readers, i'm trying this belt on the merit of it's cost only.
i considered a newer rubber belt but i'm trying to keep the spirit of the old way with the metal laced belt, i think it looks cooler.
suggestions anyone?
thanks for reading!!

I have heard many ways of doing a belt, the original leather with clips, synthetic like the one you are looking at, and automotive serpentine belts either glued or stitched. I researched this quite a bit and read everything I could find on it, all the above will work. the leather will stretch and slip, the synthetic is a better choice as they don't stretch. I chose a serpentine belt as they can be purchased from any auto parts store and grip very good. Some guys glue them but I did not have much success with the glue holding so I just stitched mine. The thing that's cool about a serpentine belt is they don't have to be run really tight as they are so grippy. I used braided wire to stitch mine but kevlar thread and stainless wire was also suggested as well as braided dacron fishing line. I could probably right a book on just this topic but this is the basics. You can also look in my heavy 10 build thread at some pics of when I did mine.

"You can also look in my heavy 10 build thread at some pics of when I did mine."

Thanks Greg,
i have been bouncing around so much trying to learn EVERYTHING I can about these south bends, that i haven't read your entire article as of yet.
i got bitten by a heard of the SB bugs. that dang lathe is becoming an obsession.....:help:
My problem is that i'm trying NOT to treat this project like she's a job at my normal work...
i tend to do things very quickly, like a one man pit crew, and don't take much time to enjoy the work when i'm at work.
I'm trying to go slow but.....

Box O' Parts.JPG

I'll be reading the rest of your project Greg!
thanks, as always for your input!!

Box O' Parts.JPG

Last edited:
I totally understand. My shop time is my fun, not my profession, I savor it. It's my therapy, an escape from the madness of the world, I have to create and make things with my hands weather the medium is wood, metal, or simply just building something like a lathe or motorcycle or chainsaw or whatever. I scored a burke #4 mill today to play with!

Greg's thread has been very helpful to me. I am constantly going back to it to see "how Greg did it". Between his thread, the restore book, and helpful members in the forum, all my bases are covered. Also Latheman has been a good source of parts, he has yet to let me down, filling all my part requests...fast shipping too. I have a ways to go on my 10L and can't yet see the light at the end of the tunnel, but by making it a point to do something on the lathe, no matter how small every couple of days or so, it will eventually get done. Can't say I enjoy doing it, but I do love to look at the final results once a piece is completed... but wait.. with that being said, I guess I am enjoying it. :) The ways on my Atlas are a little worn and I look forward to having what I hope to be a better machine. I will eagerly be watching your restore/rebuild.

Thanks Chuck!!
Greg is a great guy as well as being supremely talented. i aspire to do his level of restoration.
but i fear time is my enemy.I'm trying to do my normal work on my HF 7x10...not ideal but, keeping me operational.
i'll need to get Henrietta into the game soon....
i'll look at Latheman, i haven't looked on his site ...
Thanks!

You guys are giving me a big head. LOL If I have inspired someone then that's a great thing and what it's all about. I am happy that my post are helpful to people. I'm no know it all, I learned as I went along and did my research and learned from others, now maybe it looks like others are learning from me. Everything comes full circle.

Back