1940 South Bend 11" 111B 105014 IQR Rebuild By Ulma Doctor

Ulma Doctor

Infinitely Curious
Registered
I'm making this thread to educate any single person that is willing to read, or just look at some pictures and post a comment or ask a question.
i promise to keep this thread open until completion.
this thread is for you, the Interested...
thanks for viewing.

I recently acquired on trade a south bend 11" X5' bed catalog 111B S/N 105014 IQR lathe from a great guy in the Sacramento area...you know who you are!!! thanks again!!
The South Bend Lathe was distributed by Moore Machinery Los Angeles/San Francisco under contract with the United States Naval Yard at Mare Island , Vallejo Ca.

http://www.charlesmoore2.com is a great historical link. for those interested.

This is Henrietta,
my first South Bend lathe.
She has made her share of parts to defend democracy and protect the rights that, all to often, are forgotten.
As repayment for her service, i will restore the old girl first to working condition.
then i'll get her hair done and paint on her nails and such....

6dB1grEvn3AyGZFD4GxiSss89OKn1zFvKX5mkE6kGueMiXLJ7oKc3lKInIH1umzr_QGIQfD7tYS1Tyv-4mc=w640-h480-no.jpg

sb11arrivalatnewhome-jpg.50493

0SKHVsoKd9MVjBssCE7LgF8I5h4jfqmVhMVNYCQhEhci06XUOz-eKFVh-wU3AxtA7nqLvrFolQXkIWqrGBs=w640-h480-no.jpg
sb11serialplate-jpg.50495

SB11PICKUPOLDHOME.JPG SB11ARRIVALATNEWHOME.JPG SB11-105014-111B-5'Bed.JPG SB11SERIALPLATE.JPG

Last edited:
then i'll get her hair done and paint on her nails and such....

LOL, that's the best machine intro I've ever read!

Welcome back! I was more than a little disappointed to read your last thread would not continue. Looking forward to the "makeover" .

thanks taz,
the posting is for guys like you who appreciate old iron machinery.
i'll be posting all kinds of information as this thread progresses.
some of the information will be a ditto from the first thread, for that i apologize in advance.
i'm treating this a brand new thread and will start with the basic information, then move into the rest of the process.

feel free anyone, at any time, to ask questions. i'll be happy to reply with the information i have.
this is intended to be a full disclosure build.
enjoy, and as always thanks for viewing.

Glad to see that you are able to continue entertaining and educating us with this lathe refurb. It will be fun to watch it progress and I'm sure others will learn and benefit from the work. Looking forward to new pics.
Greg

Greg,
With great pride and clear intention the project will continue to unfold.
on a personal note, i wish to thank you publicly for you words of encouragement and interest in this project.
the updated thread exists directly due to our conversations. your words have impacted deeper than you may realize.
the second thread exists for you and anyone else interested alike...

as always, thank you for prior,present, and future support on this project i will do my very best for her and for you,
the Interested....

When Henrietta left her last home, she was lifted from a pedestal of furniture dollies by chain to my awaiting trailer by forklift.
that was to be the easiest part of the journey to her current resting spot. Before receiving Henrietta,
i had a little better than 2 days to hear quite a few of my friends and family about how this mission should be aborted, and what was i thinking:nuts: . I traded a perfectly working lathe for another non working lathe, that hasn't worked in decades possibly.
This is when i new it was for the love of the machine and complete confidence in myself to achieve any end.
this is not the safest road to walk, i do not suggest following my footsteps as i metaphorically tread with rattlesnakes at times, and have fallen in pits as well.

i saw weight estimations from a couple of sources for my lathe being somewhere in the neighborhood for 1400LBS and some change. (edit:The actual weight advertized by SB was 1140 lbs)
i'm not a stranger to moving heavy equipment, but i got guff from all my people about how it's going to be impossible to move and so on, that's when i knew i was on the right track....
i resolved to move this machine from the trailer to it's resting spot with no help from anyone using only what i had at my disposal.
i have a lot of tools so, the feat is not as grand really.....using a 6' lever and 1"fulcrum, i set her on wood 2x4's , then increased the height of the fulcrum to 2". i levered the mass onto wood 4x4 blocks, then replaced the 2" fulcrum with a 4" fulcrum to get the height necessary to set on a dolly, then lowered onto the dolly by reversing the block up process. i did not place a dolly under the lighter end, figuring for maximum stability i would keep her legs touching terra firma. the heavy end was at the rear of the trailer at this point. i connected a come along to the central bed casting and pushed the lathe until it went over the hinge of the trailer tailgate and taunt on the comealong cable. it mas merely a matter of letting out cable in a controlled manner from the comealong, using her ponderous bulk to easily lower her from the trailer. at this point i man handled this chunk of iron an steel to it's place of rest. i then set the blocking back up to remove the dolly and set her to the floor once again.
i was able to move her against others' declarations of improbability. i'm sure it will not be the last time i do something another may say is improbable... just because, i can.
as always, thanks for following and reading the progress
LQSz4Cy4x5J6v1FMMaHe8e3_3CcSwSvbAnbd5p9-onJJAzIo4TuhtdFZk1C5LybaJnioASdOxirrByS0cZA=w640-h480-no.jpg

SB11NEWLOCATION.JPG

Last edited:
Aaahhhhhh...........truly a thing of beauty! I can't wait.

This is when i new it was for the love of the machine and complete confidence in myself to achieve any end.
this is not the safest road to walk, i do not suggest following my footsteps as i metaphorically tread with rattlesnakes at times, and have fallen in pits as well.

You've just described the majority of the folks on this forum. :biggrin: Most of us get a little "funny" (and I don't mean "ha, ha") around the old machinery so count yourself in good company.

I'm looking forward to seeing this come together for you. If you run in to any kind of problem don't be shy. There is a tremendous amount of experience and knowledge on this board and most everyone is very willing to offer assistance.

-Ron

thank you very much, Ron
i will be hitting you up for some info soon.

Back