1941 Model 700a Quick Change Gear Box

1911rocks

Registered
Registered
There are a few questions I have. My 700a is a 1941 vintage. Based on a conversation I had with Scott at Logan he tells me that my age Lathe the Mounting holes were drilled and tapped in the field for a Quick Change Gear Box. But, I failed to ask if the QCGB used a different Lead Screw. After seeing some photos it appears they do. Can someone post a picture of a 700a with a QCGB? Lastly, has someone added QCGB on a similar vintage 700a? Thank you.

I have a 700a from 41 it doesn't have a qcgb I bought the manual from scott for this unit, theres some adds in that document that show sales adds from way back when this was sold (sales flyers I guess) cant say ive ever seen one with a qcgb on it,,, kinda thought they came about a few years later.. i'll have to look thru the manual again... but yes the leadscrew would have to be shorter to make up for the space of the gear box......... i'll check the parts listingto make sure theres nothing in it

according to my manual there was an option for 2 gear boxes one was for the 24" wards lathe the other the 31" the option included the gear box and the proper lead screw to match it.. not sure where you would ever find one of these. im sure there prbly a rare beast

according to my manual there was an option for 2 gear boxes one was for the 24" wards lathe the other the 31" the option included the gear box and the proper lead screw to match it.. not sure where you would ever find one of these. im sure there prbly a rare beast

Keep checking Ebay and be persistent. Sometimes it takes a while and sometimes it doesn't.

I spoke with Scott. His comment was that:

1) The initial 700a could be fit with a QCGB but required Drilling and tapping for the (3) Mounting holes and drilled for the Dowel pins
2) After ser#46561 the 10", 11"& 2900 Series 12" Lathe used the same gearbox
3) The 9" lathe was totally different Gearbox....period

So, bottom line, just as RandyM stated the early 10" used a specific Gearbox and I'll diligent check Ebay. Thank you all.

Back