1942 SB Heavy 10: What Kind of Cabinet Is This?

karlsangree

Registered
Registered
I am getting ready to begin hacking away at a South Bend 10L 8187AN. The serial number (128729) puts it at 1942. I have never seen this cabinet before. Google doesn't show a single picture of a 10L with this bench. The majority of photos of the 8187AN have the bench with the semi-circular, bent tubing feet. Any ideas?

IMG_1613.JPG

Agree with @woodchucker. It lacks the chip pan that would have come on a factory SB Heavy 10.
Here's my '63.

20211120_075948.jpg

Definitely homemade. The drawers are made out of wood and it looks like the top is too.

looks like an old girl too :) You know we need more pictures than that, right? It's like taking a picture of the wheels of a car and nothing else!

I just received a copy of the original sales receipt. My suspicions were correct in that it is a 1942 model. The sales slip says the cabinet is, in fact, a custom cabinet from South Bend. I've never seen one of these before but apparently that's how the original owner (War Department Air Corps, Mobile AL) purchased it. Note the comment that reads:
"SPEC. WOODEN [??????? ???????] IN LIEU OF
REG. STEEL BENCH. HARD MAPLE. 9 DRAWER.
PAINTED OLIVE GREEN"

EDIT: After staring at the sales slip, I believe the wording of the first line is: "SPEC. WOODEN CABINET BENCH IN LIEU OF", but I may be wrong. If anyone sees anything else, let me know.

Attachments

• Original Sales Receipt.jpg
    Original Sales Receipt.jpg
    232.8 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
Back