1943 16 inch bearing adjustment with bearing locks ?

bobdog

Registered
Registered
I have a 1943 16 inch Southbend with bearings locks. I would like to talk to somebody who has adjusted there spindle bearings. Have some questions ? How tight do you tighten bearing capscrews ? Mine were loose . When I tighten them by hand spindle gets tight. Need Help Please ?

The Lock’s as you call them are expanders. Do not remove the bearing caps without taking out the expander screws in the caps,” or bearings will get damaged”. I have a heavy 10L that have the same type bearings it’s been a while since I messed with them . I got the refurbish book on eBay that explains bearing service, adjustment and a lot of other stuff about your lathe
I would highly recommend getting the book and felt kit for your 16”. The kit comes with new spindle capillary oil wicks and other correct felts for the lathe , the book also has a couple mods to do to your lathe .
The capillary wick tubes keep the bearings from spinning if at right height
My 10 L has a placket under the belt cover that explains bearing adjustments
The expanders expand the bearings to the Id of the bearing caps when the little screws are tightened
the caps should be tight, a lift test will tell you if you need to add/remove shims,
again the refurbish book/felts will be your best friend
Hope this helps

Last edited:
Back