1947 Dodge Cornet Rust-Tow-Mod

Good news and bad news. Once we got the fuel issue behind us It fired right up, the cam instructions said to run it at 2000 RPM for 20 minutes, about 10 minutes into the run we lost oil pressure and shut it down. We had a bad oil leak from the pan gasket (we didn't build this one) but fired it up again and experienced the same problem, pulling the pan we discovered the builder hadn't pinned or tack welded the pick-up to the pump, it had rotated and was sucking down to the bottom of the pan and shutting off the flow. We've never experienced this before, we looked at the bearings and everything seem ok, get the pan back on and try again next week.

Attachments

• IMG_0009.JPG
    IMG_0009.JPG
    4.8 MB · Views: 27
Once we got a new oil pick-up and a one piece pan gasket on things got a lot better, no leaks, steady oil pressure, and the cam broken in, now we can concentrate on getting the steering put together, our client wanted to lower the wheel to accomidate the lower seats which are from a Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor, My son's idea, support the new steering with the old collum. I got to make another part, a plastic bushing so the 1.75 od tubing would fit snugly in the dash steering mount. It took three U-joints and one bearing to make the connection but it's tight with no binds and no slop. The front end fit on almost pefrectly, notice wher the radiator is in relation to the original core support, on a project like this you can't take enough measurements. IMG_0024 (2).JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0007 (4).JPG
    IMG_0007 (4).JPG
    108.2 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0025 (2).JPG
    IMG_0025 (2).JPG
    135.4 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0027 (1).JPG
    IMG_0027 (1).JPG
    123.9 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0026 (3).JPG
    IMG_0026 (3).JPG
    122.8 KB · Views: 17
Made a simple bracket, the entire front end is held on with four bolts, I wanted to build a hinge so you could tilt the whole thing forwards, but was over ruled by our client. All we need to do is adjust the hood fitting and we're done.

Attachments

• IMG_0031 (1).JPG
    IMG_0031 (1).JPG
    135.4 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_0032 (1).JPG
    IMG_0032 (1).JPG
    117.6 KB · Views: 18
Offically on the floor, here's the view, our client wanted a Lo-rider, we built him one.

Attachments

• IMG_0043.JPG
    IMG_0043.JPG
    76 KB · Views: 13
Back