1947 Dodge Cornet Rust-Tow-Mod

Really nice work, and a good solid connection on the sub-frame. Any decision on driveline yet? A stroked 340 small block would be kind of cool and keep it Chrysler. Mike

It's going to get a 350 Chevy with an automatic trans with overdrive, my son is a Golden Arm, he's a certified welder at his job. I like to think that welding skills are hereditary but others (non welders) think it's a birth defect. We wanted to install a Chrysler Hemi or a wedge but the SBC was what our client had. I finally got to use my new self centering round stock vice. Some time ago I built a fixture for holding the front suspension at ride hight, now that it's all assembled I had reason to make the tubes, and the vice works perfectly.

Attachments

• IMG_0024 (1).JPG
    IMG_0024 (1).JPG
    5 MB · Views: 42
  • IMG_0025 (1).JPG
    IMG_0025 (1).JPG
    5 MB · Views: 34
  • IMG_0026 (1).JPG
    IMG_0026 (1).JPG
    5.1 MB · Views: 35
I've heard that the Small Block Chevy is the most abundant engine on the planet, there's five of them in our shop now, the one on the left is for a demolition derby client, we built it out of a used 604 crate motor, it was taken out of service because it had picked up a miss. We found a broken lifter and replaced them all with a new set, the one on the right is going into our current project, there's a 'B' mod motor setting in it's rack, a torn down 'A' mod motor on the engine stand and workbench, and an un-assembled 'A' mod motor in the storage room. I race Chevy's but I drive Fords, go figure. We got the rear end in place, the ride height holders were too short so we had to use another rear end holder. It works for racecars but not for low riders, I see some modifications in the near future.

Attachments

• IMG_0023.JPG
    IMG_0023.JPG
    5.2 MB · Views: 28
  • IMG_0030.JPG
    IMG_0030.JPG
    5.5 MB · Views: 33
Have you ever saw a cleaner looking motor mount, I wish I could say we built it but it came in a box, we also got the rear end instillation finished.
We were able to utilize the stock leaf spring mounts for the lower rods, I was wrong about the coil over shocks, they were for the rear end. Sorry about the long time between updates, our shop dog, Kuma, had to be euthanized, it's been real stressful around here for the last while.

Attachments

• IMG_0039.JPG
    IMG_0039.JPG
    4.9 MB · Views: 27
  • IMG_0040.JPG
    IMG_0040.JPG
    4.7 MB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0041 (2).JPG
    IMG_0041 (2).JPG
    5 MB · Views: 25
  • IMG_0061 (1).JPG
    IMG_0061 (1).JPG
    4.7 MB · Views: 30
real sorry to hear about your dog Kuma, that's very sad. Plenty of dogs around in rescue houses that need loving owners though.

My friend had those shocks on his '57 F100 restomod. Was never really happy with them, but he ended up selling the project before he finished it to pay off his truck. They just felt underdamped and undersprung.

Hi everybody, I'm back. Even though I disappear in the spring the shop keeps going, we got the engine in and the body on and will have to do some sheet metal work. I finally got to build something for the project, the alternator mount. We figured if we tripled the horsepower maybe we needed to add a cross member, it also doubles as a transmission mount. We tried to fire it up but discovered the pickup tube in the gas tank is plugged. Last picture is a detail of the transmission mount, good example of the KISS dictum.IMG_0019 (2).JPGIMG_0020.JPGView attachment 386082

Attachments

• IMG_0010 (1).JPG
    IMG_0010 (1).JPG
    4.7 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0006 (1).JPG
    IMG_0006 (1).JPG
    5.4 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_0001.JPG
    IMG_0001.JPG
    4.9 MB · Views: 11
Last edited:
@eugene13,

I just discovered this thread....... finally!
Watching.

What a great build, Thanks for sharing this!

-brino

Back