1947 Monarch 10EE Breathing New Life

will.mcray

Registered
Registered
Hi everyone... Well I been banging away at getting this lathe cleaned up, repaired and some love and TLC. I will have to admit, I was nervous about diving into this project, but the more I got into it, the move I loved it. I looked at this build as "as required". I looked things over closely and if I did not see the need to disassemble something, I did not. The head stock remained in tack as I saw no issues with the gearing. I took the apron and carriage off and made a new pinion gear for the Rack since there was alot of wear. Replaced all the oil metering valves on the apron and carriage. Rebuilt the oil pump and in plugged ALL the lines in the carriage. Made new sight glasses and devised an o-ring set up instead of using the cork gaskets. Replaced all the belts. Rebuilt and greased all the ilder pulleys. Rebuilt the tail stock and replace the roller thrust bearings. All wipers were replaced throughout. This is still the original MG and its running fine (at the moment). I assume at this age, I am sure to have an issue with it. Brush painted with oil based gray and black accents. Derusted and polished everything I could. In all, I am very happy with how this came out. The first chips were very nice and sooooooth finish. Hope you like how it came out....
IMG_3373.JPGIMG_3375.JPGIMG_3376.JPGIMG_3377.JPGIMG_3378.JPGIMG_E3224.JPGIMG_3239.JPGIMG_2577.JPGIMG_2578.JPGIMG_2582.JPGIMG_2604.JPGIMG_3373.JPGIMG_3375.JPGIMG_3373.JPG

Wow, gorgeous! It’s still got a nice look about it that says it’s seen some work but has been well taken care of. Beautiful job.

-frank

Thank you for caring for this (one of many) really great tool room lathes. I had the opportunity to use one early in my professon and regretted losing it when L changed employers.

Back