1949 Craftsman 80 Model 109.21270 (catalog 99 AM 2127)

Ulma Doctor

Infinitely Curious
Registered
I had the good fortune of having dinner with an aunt and uncle as they were headed for their wintering grounds in the southwest. we met them at their hotel and had dinner. my uncle said he had something for me to look at while we were eating but wouldn't say what it was. i figured it was some cool new gadget he had or maybe he had something he needed fixed or who knows with him, could be just about anything...
after we finished dinner we had a couple drinks and talked for a couple hours.
i dropped them back off at the hotel and wished them a happy trip south.
my uncle said to pull up to his rig, so i did. i asked what'dya got??
he said i think you can use this more than i can...
and proceeds to hand me a well preserved 1949 model 109.21270 also known as the Craftsman 80 lathe."jawdrop:

it was manufactured by the Dunlap Corporation for Sears & Roebuck Co..(correction - Mfg by Double A Products--- thanks CluelessNewB)
the model was made for only one year come to find out.
it came with a 1/4 hp 1725 rpm 115v a/c motor
3 drive face plates 3.5" diameter
2 mt #0 dead centers
1 mt #0 live center
3 drill chucks- 1 keyless, 2 keyed type mt #0
4 jaw independent chuck 3" diameter w/ original wrench
full set of threading gears, never have been used
3 lathe dogs
1 mt1 work arbor
knurling tool
misc tool box goodies.

i was so excited to see it, it felt like Christmas in October!!!

i loaded up and thanked him for the new toy:))

i got it home and immediately started looking at http://www.lathes.co.uk/craftsman/page4.html
to figure out what i got.

i completely lost track of time and will post photos tomorrow.

thanks for reading

Last edited:
thanks stevos758,

i have to Work today, but i did manage to snap a few pictures. here's a teaser....

Craftsman 80.jpg

i have some more pix, i'll edit them and post tonight after i get off work.

thanks for taking the time to read.

Craftsman 80.jpg

Very nice! I am currently bringing an Atlas back to life. Pick up a gallon of evaporust! It take the rust right off in 24 hours. Then hit it with some scotch brite. Will look real nice then!

wow, what a cool gift! Really well tooled too. I bet your uncle is happy that he can pass it on to someone who can appreciate it and use it as much as he did. Those are neat little lathes and a step up from what I have and the generic Chinese minilathes (tumbler reverse and backgear for one!). I'd clean it up, oil it and put it straight into use :)

Last edited:
Thank You Clueless for the correction!!!
thanks for the other links too!!

thank you master53yoda for the link, that guy really did some nice work and it got me thinking again.....

i would love a copy of the spreadsheet threading chart.
you can email it to
ulmadoctor@yahoo.com
thank you very much

Need 109 enthusiast to purchase one of a kind drawing room machine shop based on AA 109 Etc. near Keene,NH .
Best to call 603 357 1831 , or address jhblag@gmail.com wish to donate proceeds. BLJHB / J.Bateman

Back