1951 LeBlond Regal 13" compound screw removal

Psawrench

Registered
Registered
Trying to figure out how to remove the "nut" behind the dial in the compound rest. It has no flats, is etched with an index mark and 0, and has two holes in its face 180 degrees apart. I've tried removing both for a right hand or left hand thread but haven't been able to budge it. Any suggestions, tricks or theories on how it comes off? It's the only thing holding the shaft in.

Someone who knows more will be along shortly but I think the holes in the face are for a spanner wrench and it is a right hand thread.

A strap wrench around it will maybe do in a pinch.

It's pretty tight so I'm taking it slow. May need a little heat to help but knowing it's a right hand thread puts me in the right direction. Thanks.

Someone who knows more will be along shortly but I think the holes in the face are for a spanner wrench and it is a right hand thread.

A strap wrench around it will maybe do in a pinch.
What is said here is normal practice for most any lathe, a spanner should do the job without any heating.

There would be no benefit to it having left hand threads, so it will be right hand. However, it was assembled nearly 70 years ago so it isn't going to come loose easily. I would find or make a one-piece face spanner and apply penetrating oil to the bearing and slide for a few days before trying to remove it.

Use a little heat, not a flame but maybe a heat gun or light bulb, get it nice and warm it should help loosen it

I know this is about 6 months old but wonder if you ever got it off? I think I have the same issue. I tried like hell with a flat faced spanner no luck even with some heat. I just gave up on it. I am not one to poke bear's, I need to replace the screw as it's bent but it's tight and works so I am dealing with it for now. 20191026_164324[999].jpg

I had same situation, 13 inc 1943 trainer.

I had no spanner that fit, but just putting a punch in one of the holes and hammering on the punch-not even all that hard- and it turned and came off easily

Not to revive a dead thread, but can anyone give advice on how to disassemble the compound once everything is removed from it?

The nut is obviously still in it and wont let it slide off completely. I know it's tapered and theoretically should come off at an angle. Well I can't seem to find that angle.

With the gib removed, it should just tilt off on the gibbed side.

Back