1956 Studebaker sedan

Thank you gentlemen for the nice comments. Yes I do belong to the Studebaker drivers club.
I also have 36 Dictator I started to pull apart years ago which if the Lord allows me the time. Am going to be 70 in May. I would like to get at it when this one is finished. A little harder to find parts for that is why I bought this one. I thought I could probably get this one ready for paint in a month or so but I guess I am too fussy to not do it right. Parts for post war Studebakers are quite easy to come by. A different story for prewar cars.

stud12.jpg

stud12.jpg

That 36 would make a sweet ride! Friend of mine has a 41 (if I remember correctly) that I'd love to have.

Hi guys
We finally got back at our restoration this month. Had to stop in May when the weather got nice. Had too much outside work to do as well as redoing our main bathroom etc.
So the first job was to make up a set of doors for the booth. Bought four used doors from Habitat for Humanity. Made them into two by-fold doors. Cut two foot square holes in them for filters. Strengthened them with appropriate framing inside etc. I kinda struggled with what to use to hold the filters in. Then I thought about 3/8" offset self closing cabinet door hinges. Worked perfect.
We then went on to sandblast the frame this week, sprayed on two coats of chassis saver and she looks like a brand new frame. Today we started to assemble the front suspension and steering.
Back when we get more done.
Nick

doors2.jpg frm.snd.blst2.jpg frt.snd.blstd2.jpg frm.pantd2.jpg fr.asmbled2.jpg

Last edited:
Re: 1936 Studebaker sedan

Excellent just wait for the first ride, also I advise to put insurance on the 36s hood ornament.

nicky
i've owned 2 '55 Presidents, 1 '55 Commander pink and grey California Special-radio, heater & defroster delete,
'55 Commander purple w/3 speed and '64 GT Hawk w/manual & hill holder feature.
we used to get some parts from Foster & French downtown in LA.
now i have Ford tranny that's same as one used in Studebakers or darn close to it.:)

Have A Nice Day!

A 1957 Golden Hawk just sold on Barrett-Jackson for $ 135,000...WOW

reds
just the guy i wanted to talk to.
couple real deals on hemmings up in maryland.
search under $3000 everything.cars for sale.pick show price.
'55 cadillac limo w/ original pearl salmon paint job.$2500
'56 Ford Retractable Hardtop. $2000
i think there's more!

Have A Nice Day!

The next phase

Hi guys.
The chassis is back on the ground. Rolled it outside this morning through under the body which was still hanging on the hoist while the weather was so beautiful. Hate to open the big door when it is so cold out as you lose a lot of heat in a hurry.
Got the body attached to the rotisserie and rolled it into the spray booth. I couldn't believe how easy it rolled, just one hand would do it. When I designed the rotisserie I kept in mind that the sealing was only 7 ft. so I had to keep it close to the ground. Hence the drop centre axles. It took only a couple of minutes to balance it with my micro adjust balancing system. What a pleasure to work with. The body clears the ceiling by about 6 inches as well as the connecting link underneath.

chas.1.JPG
Chassis back on the floor.

onside.JPG
Body makes complete roll over with room to spare.

front.JPG
Front end upside down.

upsdown.JPG
Upside down from the front. This makes it nice to finnish my floor welds and install the new door sills.

botom.JPG
The bottom on it's side.

leftrear.JPG
Upside down rear corner.

chas.1.JPG botom.JPG front.JPG leftrear.JPG onside.JPG upsdown.JPG

A nice surprise

This week I started sandblasting. I started with the trunk which turned out pretty nice. We then turned it on it's side and started blasting the channel across the end which looked pretty daunting because it looked pretty scaly and only about 2" wide and 3 deep. I expected it to be quite a challenge but it blasted around hard enough between the sides that it cleaned up real nice. Then came the right rear fender which also cleaned up real nice. I noticed that when cleaning around the edges the undercoating on the floor started lifting off. So I grabbed my good gasket scraper and gave it a few scrapes. That stuff just popped off so I just kept on scraping. Except for some patches of surface rust where there was no undercoating it left a nice clean original paint surface. I spent about 4 hours scraping the whole bottom which will now just need a minimal amount of sandblasting to clean some bits of surface rust here and there and to etch the original paint enough so the I can spray a new coat of paint on it.

trunk2.jpg

Trunk cleaned

r-chanel2.jpg

Rear channel, note undercoating starting to peal of the floor beside it.

firstscrp2.jpg

First scrape

r.fin.2.jpg

Floor scraped, no sandblasting yet. Shine is the original finnish on the floor preserved by the undercoating.

frnt.fns2.jpg

From the front, pretty nice for a 56 year old car.

trunk2.jpg r.fin.2.jpg r-chanel2.jpg frnt.fns2.jpg firstscrp2.jpg

Back