1958 Bridgeport Series 1 J Rebuild

I haven't given up yet, still hanging in there Gang. The gear and belt housings are all back together and ready for mounting. The motor is rebuilt, new bearings, brushes, commutator, barrel switch, cord, and a fresh coat of paint. The spindle housing is fully disassembled. Here are the latest photos.

Belt_Housing_2.JPG Gear_Housing.JPG Spindle_Housing-Front.JPG Spindle_Housing-RH_Side.JPG Spindle_Housing-Parts.JPG Belt_Housing_1.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking really nice, Randy. New ones weren't assembled with such care.

Mayhem link=topic=1793.msg21308#msg21308 date=1312805179 said:
Excellent job Randy. I'd love an old Bridgeport or Cincinnati but they are rare here. What I discovered when rebuilding my lathe is that you get a much better overview of how they work than when buying a new one. I'm really looking forward to seeing your progress.

Thank you Guys. :)

Mayhem, up until this poor economy thing these machines were rare around here as well. But, they are really showing up a lot more lately.

I completely agree, I am finding that I am learning all the little things that make this machine work. It is a great experience but, is killing me to not being able to make chips.

randym,

your rebuild looks to be going well, i actually like that color of blue your using, kind of grows on you after you look at it a little...

i'm fixing my clutch cam pins at the moment, i have 2 good cam pin holes and i'm going to go ahead and drill and tap 2 more 1/4-32 holes so i have a spare set when i put it back together...

my question is how tight did you tighten the bearing retainer nut, and lock nut.. i copied your photo from above and put some red arrows on it so you know what i'm talking about.. any help would be great.

Belt_Housing_2.JPG_thumb.png

brucer link=topic=1793.msg21716#msg21716 date=1313031129 said:
randym,

my question is how tight did you tighten the bearing retainer nut, and lock nut.. i copied your photo from above and put some red arrows on it so you know what i'm talking about.. any help would be great.

Brucer, I really didn't put a torque wrench on it. I just snugged her down real good. I really don't think this machine was ever touched maintenance wise. So with that being said, everything was still factory tight. I found nothing really came apart really hard, except the stuff that was rusted together (turret and ram). Sorry I took so long to get back to ya. Any particular reason you are asking?

i rebuilt the top housing and i used new retainer nuts..

i ended up just snugging them down tight and running it.. it seems fine..

That's looking real nice! I just got a 58 also ;0 just going thru it and making every thing work as it should before I paint it

que buen trabajo , me gusto mucho todo lo que hiciste , la maquina quedo muy bien , que precio tiene ? gracias

Randy, he says that's good work, and he likes what you've done. He's curious about how much you've spent on the project.

Tony Wells link=topic=1793.msg23823#msg23823 date=1314751419 said:
Randy, he says that's good work, and he likes what you've done. He's curious about how much you've spent on the project.

Thanks Tony and Miguel.

Well, to be honest, I really am not keeping track. Paid to much for the machine to start $3500. I am replacing all the bearings and stuff that wears out. I added a power feed to the x-axis. Had the motor rebuilt and then all the little things that I broke taking it a part. My guess, and I am guessing probably another $2000. Yup, adding up.

Back