1958 Bridgeport Series 1 J Rebuild

Been watching for a long time, guess its time to ask a question,

Did you ever have time, or the opprtunity to weight the thing?:nuts:

I have a 1966 bridgeport myself and have never figured out the actual weight?

Buy the way, that is a great job of restoration, go make chips!!

I was having a time with amplified noise coming from the mill when I placed it on an epoxy over concrete floor, the noise seemed to increase due to the

gloss epoxy floor, so I went down to the local retail sports equipment outlet and purchased 4 hocky pucks and placed under each corner with 1/4 curcular metal plates to match.

The top plate is welded to about the same adjustments you have (not as nice though) for leveling.

Runs very, very quiet.

WOW! gang aren't you all so kind with your praises. I THANK YOU ALL!

Tell me how you polished the table and all of the dials and non painted surfaces. What did you use. I have a project about to begin and would like to go to school on your success.

ML,
Believe it or not, I just used old fasioned elbow grease. I used Scotch Brites and parts cleaning solution. I think steel wool would work as well.

Been watching for a long time, guess its time to ask a question,

Did you ever have time, or the opprtunity to weight the thing?:nuts:

I have a 1966 bridgeport myself and have never figured out the actual weight?

No, never weighed it, but from my research it is supposed to be around 2200-2300lbs. Not light.

Wow! Randy, very nice job! You sir have set the bar very high.

I am smack dab in the middle of doing the very same thing to my 1967 J head. It's a look-alike cousin to yours. The only difference is that mine has the factory Tibon chromed ways and fortunately they all show very little wear.

I have saved all of your pics in "Randys BP" folder to provide a little inspiration during my build (ok, also to help show me where everything goes - lol).

How's she running?

Guy in Sacramento

Glad I can help. This book is completely invaluable and saved me a lot of head ache and I highly recommend it. It will pay for itself the minute you open it up.
http://www.machinerypartsdepot.com/site/1478157/product/BRM-2J

Very, very, nice, and very impressive. I don't know what would be better, run it, or just sit back and stare at it.:drool: Thats about one of the best looking Bridgeports that I have ever laid eyes on. Fantastic job!!!!:man:

Gorgeous rebuild! Winner so far!! IMHO LOL, not a contest, but, man this is the nutz

Top shelf there, turned out great, do you have the push oiler for the fittings ? You do know not to grease it I hope. I had an old m head a couple hundred years ago. It's an amazing machine if you think about it. The guys who developed and built it sure deserve a whole lot of praise. And your proving it.
Good luck with your new baby

Gorgeous rebuild! Winner so far!! IMHO LOL, not a contest, but, man this is the nutz

Top shelf there, turned out great, do you have the push oiler for the fittings ? You do know not to grease it I hope. I had an old m head a couple hundred years ago. It's an amazing machine if you think about it. The guys who developed and built it sure deserve a whole lot of praise. And your proving it.
Good luck with your new baby

Thanks Guys!

SB,

Yes, I have the push oiler and yes, after painstakingly cleaning all the passages the last thing I am going to do is inject grease into them. :laughing:

Thanks for the link Randy, I just checked it out and registered. I put the bridgeport back together yesterday, when I was finished I had 2 ,1/4-20x 1/2" round head screws left over :-\ I don't remember where they came from. they wre in the bin with the saddle parts so they must go on the saddle somewhere. Where there little clips that hold the oil lines out of the way of the feed nut assembly? I don't have any parts left over to attach with these screws so I'm not sure where they came from.
My feed nuts pushed out of the casting with very little help from the arbor press, the new ones are slightly different, they are 2 peice set to adjust backlash and you have to drill the oil holes and turn the groove for the oil to get down to the lower nut. I should take more pic. but I never think of it when I'm working.
They don't hold the riser nut in do they , or part of the new adjustable table nuts are they. I'd worry myself if I didn't figure it out. But that's me.

Back