1962 Clausing/Colchester lathe rebuild

James K

Registered
Registered
I'm rebuilding the machine after my father disassembled it and since passed away. I wasn't around when he took it apart so I don't know if there was an issue with it. All the parts are there and I'm beginning to assemble. Question: The main Spindle was removed with the front bearing pressed and seated on the shaft. The rear bearing was left in the race that is pressed into the gear head casting. Will I mess things up if I press out the rear bearing and race from the head casting to assemble on the spindle, then press the whole spindle and bearing back into the head casting? I guess I'm concerned with

Any direction/advice is welcome. Thanks for reading and I'm sure there will be many more post's on this thread....

I attached 3 pictures to illistrate.

Spindle.jpg

20200722_084446.jpg20200722_084437.jpg

Hi James, sorry about your Dad. Probably would be a good idea to spin the bearings by hand and feel for any roughness. Look at the bigger front bearing closely and see if you can see any wear on the rollers. The bearings might be worn but still usable.
The spindle would be installed from the front (right) side of the headstock, then the smaller left end bearing is drawn into place with a puller arrangement made from a length of strong threaded rod and some large washers, nuts and a piece of tubing or pipe. Look around and see if your Dad used something like that to pull the spindle out.
-Mark

Last edited:
Those are Gamet bearings. Probably over $3,000 to replace them last time I looked.
Extremely high quality and high precision.

Gentlemen, Thanks for the your response. I have inspected the bearings and they appear to be in good order. No groves, nicks or pits. They are free rolling. My concern is with the casting by pressing the race out and back in. I will try to find/make some sort of puller that I can secure to the casting with existing taped holes.

Expensive bearings like these are warmed before pressing onto the spindle.
Far as removing goes, probably a good idea to cool the spindle with dry ice.
I've heard of folks using canned dust-off type air for spot cooling. (?)

Yes I was planning on warming the bearing and cooling the spindle to make for an easy press fit. Thanks for the info.

It maybe a sliding fit and removing it may ruin it. I would measure the shaft and bearing bore. You can get the number off the bearing and call a local industrial bearing house and they can tell you the spec. so you can just micrometer (mike) the spindle. I took a bearing class at SKF in King of Prussia PA and they said many times one can ruin a new bearing if you install it wrong because of a burr or hammering it out. I would stone the spindle mount area and where the gears go, and give it a go if it is a sliding fit. Spray the bearing with contact cleaner or brake fluid, then coat with a thin oit like 3 -in one or spindle oil and give it a go. Use a dead blow lead hammer to tap it easy in or make a gear puller out of some ready rod and a large cylinder to put on even pressure. Also try to screw on the bearing retainer nut before hand to be sure it doesn't have any dings

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. I was able to make a puller and the rear bearing and race came out with out any issue. I'm going to make a new installing tool using a long piece of all - thread and round stock. I'm going to assemble the bearing and race on the Spidle and install together. I think... ha, ha...

The inner race of the Timken looks like it has wear circles.

Yes, I noticed those line also. They are visible but not detectable by feel. When I seated the bearing in the race it turns smooth. I don't feel any bumps or inconsistencies. I know this is not a very accurate way to check the wear, however It's all I have. I have looked into purchasing new front and rear bearings, but haven't had much luck. I went on the Gamet web site and inquired. Still waiting for a response back. Anyone have a lead on where to look for "new" old stock bearings?

Back