1962 Clausing/Colchester lathe rebuild

What are the numbers on the bearing? I buy my bearings from this company. You have to buy bearings from an industrial supply and not the local auto parts store. Machine tool bearings are precision compared to a car. Also Baker bearing is a national wholesaler that a local guy can call as they have many old numbered bearings because they buy bearings from companies who have auctions and they buy the bearings out of tool cribs..

Bearings Inc
https://www.yellowpages.com/germantown-wi/mip/bearings-inc-3884012#reviews
N96W15508 County Line Rd, Germantown, WI 53022
(262) 253-6300

I see this company in CA:

Motion Industries Industrial Supplies
INDUSTRIAL SUPPLIES & EQUIPMENT MISCELLANEOUS IN GARDENA, CA
760 W 190th St
Gardena, CA 90248 - Los Angeles County
(310) 327-5070

Last edited:
4274 A and 4274 B
see pics

Attachments

• 20200830_092937.jpg
    20200830_092937.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 9
  • 20200830_092944.jpg
    20200830_092944.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 9
I have been doing some research. It looks like it is a special bearing - possible a double bearing. That is spring loaded, How about laying everything on a table showing everything. The holes are for oil and or the springs that are for self adjustment. A picture of the lathe from afar and photo's of the headstock, the back side of the front bearing. If it is a special factory bearing it will be expensive and probably best to assemble it as is. I found these manuals showing the design. That's why I suspect something is messing and that's why I would like to see everything spread out.

Yes the front bearing consist of 2 taper bearings that are housed by 1 race that's pressed into the casting. There is 1 rear bearing that is tapered and has a back plate with small springs in to keep constant pressure.

See attached pic from my manual

Attachments

• 13 COLCHESTER.docx
    677.9 KB · Views: 16
The front bearing is the thrust bearing, Does it have springs? The back bearings are usually axial bearings. If you have all the parts then I would assemble it as I bet the double set of # 7 precision bearings are expensive and probably impossible to buy. If they were bad, you get it rebuilt by a bearing remanufacture.

No springs on the front bearing. It's 2 taper bearing in a race. This bearing is pressed onto the spindle all the way to the collier. The rear bearing is 1 taper bearing with a race and the spring loaded flange that bolts on to the inside of the gear box.

It would have helped us from the get go to have shown us the blueprint. It sounded as if you didn't have one.

Back