1964 Ford 292 With Cruisomatic

racecar builder

Registered
Registered
that's right there's no car with it.:)
it came out of F100.
i've been disassembling the motor and it's pretty interesting.
anybody know about these?

jerry
i want to do something like the picture here with it.
( i know that's a Chevy engine, imagine 292 set up like that )
right now i'm stuck on taking it apart until
i get impact gun & gear puller over here.
crank dampener & flex plate bolts.:)

Have A Nice Day!

454.jpg

jerry
i've been taking it apart.
everything looks pretty good.
the piston tops look wet and oily.
i should check the rings and valve guides?

Have A Nice Day!

Generally, on an engine that old, you can count on the valve seals to be shot, and likely the guides worn to the point of leaking oil. Same deal with the rings. Chances are good that successful use of this engine will require a rebuild.

tony
now hold on just a minute.
this engine might have had engine work done on it.
everything has come apart easy and
the valve heads look real good.
it may be mostly carbon. the piston tops aren't that oily.
i just trying to remember if that's what usually lets the oil
get into combustion chamber.

Have A Nice Day!

Well, the two main routes for oil in the cylinder are worn guides or bad seals, and worn oil control rings. Oil rings can be installed incorrectly and pump oil up into the cylinder. A quick evaluation of the overall condition of the rings is the presence or absence of a ridge near the top of the cylinder. If it has had recent work, there should be little or no discernible ridge. If there is no ridge, it does not rule out broken or incorrectly installed oil rings though. if the guides and seals are worn, the stem just beneath the head of the valve will show unusual staining. It should be visible through the intake port of the head. The exhaust valve guide and seal generally do not allow oil in, simply because of the positive pressure in the exhaust side. The intake side however, does have a low pressure relative to atmospheric, and even lower than the crankcase pressure, especially if the PVC valve is not functioning properly, or the rings are worn enough to allow blow-by. Most of the time, a compression check will tell you a bit about the condition of the rings, and with a squirt of oil, can seal the valves well enough to raise the compression pressure long enough to diagnose bad valves.

that's right there's no car with it.:)
it came out of F100.
i've been disassembling the motor and it's pretty interesting.
anybody know about these?

292 was the motor in the 55 t-bird. Peppy motor for that light weight car.

Had the opportunity to drive a 55 t-bird for a day, years ago. What a car.

tony & reds
i'm going to keep taking it apart and
check the crank.
i was told it had 'spun bearing'
well, we'll see!
there is some organization here, sort of.
when you start assembly it's lay in the crank first and
i might have to hustle up a new crank, i hope not.
here's pic of 292 all rebuilt.:)

Have A Nice Day!

Test Stand 292.jpg

H-Mer's
rolled the block from one side to the other
to check block casting numbers.
the oil that spilled out was that 'here we go' burnt black variety.
oh joy!
what is going on with short 1/2" pipe steel tube
OUT of rear? of oil pump INTO block?

Have A Nice Day!

Hey can anyone join this thread??;)

Just picked up a '63 F-100 with the 292 and a stick. Engine runs real good, smooth would be right way to describe it. Doesn't smoke, doesn't skip, idles nice. Don't know how many times it has been torn down, could be none, but hard to tell. Fuel pump has a sediment bowl, nice touch, hard to get filters. Has been stored indoors since 2000. Truck is rough but pretty solid, should be a good project.

I like the PCV valve, it's two feet of rubber hose pointed at the ground. One belt runs the genny and the water pump. Heater has an on/off valve on the engine. No power steering, no power brakes, no AC, AM radio is missing.

It's been a long time since I reworked a ford small block, and this will be my first Y block.

Good luck to us both!

Back