1982 Lada Niva

No 16v are the newer computer control HDI common rail engines, i'm using a mechanical injection engine they are only 8 valves. Citroen and peugeot are same corporation, they have the same engines, it's easy for me to find them because i know them so well, i've had so many over the years. Diesels are torque monsters, stock 1,9td makes 90 Hp and 200 Nm the weight should be the same maybe lighter on the N/A then the factory Lada gas engine, they are both cast iron block and aluminium head, peugeot unit is newer design so is more compact and lighter also much more reliable.
Lada engine 1569cc 75hp 128Nm
Peugeot diesel N/A 1905cc 64hp 138Nm
Peugeot diesel turbo 1905cc 90hp 200Nm

The Peugeot turbo looks perfect!

We don't have diesel passenger cars in the US. Only the Volkswagens in mechanical injected NA and later the electronic injected 1.6 TDI. The problem is the weight of a cast iron block. When swapping from a petrol L4 with aluminum block to a VW TDI, you have to plan for 300-400 lbs of extra weight. In a large vehicle that is okay, but in a small vehicle it is a deal breaker. I only build small vehicles (Hondas, Suzuki Jimny) so I lust for good engine swap possibilities. There are so many choices of engines for diesel swaps in the EU! I am looking forward to your project.

BMW has been selling diesels in the US for the last decade or so.

Pontiac 428, you may be in luck, keep your eye for an wrecked ford F150 V6 3.0 diesel. It is the same engine that is in my 607 with more power and a better gearbox.

I got the new tires mounted, the van tires dismounted, parked the little niva in the side bay step out and decided i need to wash it and cover the paint so it doesn't get destroyed, so out it come again, i pressure wash the engine, and everything i could reach underneath, parked it up hill, then down hill in my driveway to the water can escape and just as i parked it, one meter form its final space it run out of fuel. I did wanted to use up all the fuel because is one less thing i need to drain when i need to modify the fuel tank. Its funny how pictures don't show how steep my garage entrance is.
IMG_20200825_200011_1.jpgIMG_20200825_200025.jpgIMG_20200825_200001.jpgIMG_20200827_192555.jpgIMG_20200827_191708.jpg

I got started tearing apart the little niva, it's like i've been there yesterday but its been a year. Started by lifting it and putting it on jack stands, then draining the coolant which looks awful then cooling lines, radiator, starter, alternator, distributor, spare tire support and a bunch more surrounding pieces. I'm doing it straticikli, so i don't need to do it twice, i need to make mounts for the front diff, because its bolted to the engine and the new engine has no provisions for those mounts.
IMG_20200830_143752_3.jpgIMG_20200831_160852.jpgIMG_20200831_160901.jpgIMG_20200831_160913.jpg

Today i started on the design of the adapter plate, i started with a piece of MDF with the design in wood i'll make it out of steel later. Drill couple of holes for the shaft on the gear box to slide into, the shaft on peugeot gearbox prouds 10mm and the shaft has no wobble. I marked the holes, and the outline, then i drill the holes. Then i sent some time finding the cut peugeot engine block, on which i check the holes are right, then got the cut gearbox part and checked the starter holes, they all match. Then i needed to put the lada gearbox on the other side so i can mark its holes. The shaft on the lada is shorter and has a bit of a wobble, i'll wrap some tape inside the sleeve to get rid of the wobble. Then i went to my machine shop, started with 20 mm piece of C45 drill the inside to 15mm then machined the other end again to 15mm, in other words i made an extension for temporary use till i make the adapter, i had to go back to my lathe to shorten it, it was too long. By the time i made it fit it was way pass midnight, so i'll continue tomorrow.
IMG_20200904_154653.jpgIMG_20200904_160626.jpgIMG_20200904_184904.jpgIMG_20200904_190842_1.jpgIMG_20200904_191426.jpg

The design work continues, but i need me a crank so i can fit a flywheel to test clearance. Bolting and unbolting main caps is getting boring so i chucked the cut crank shaft in my lathe, centre drill it and with the other end supported i started to cut back the counterweight, i could have used and angle grinder to save time but this way i practice my interaped cut cutting.
IMG_20200904_194930.jpg

We don't have diesel passenger cars in the US. Only the Volkswagens in mechanical injected NA and later the electronic injected 1.6 TDI. The problem is the weight of a cast iron block. When swapping from a petrol L4 with aluminum block to a VW TDI, you have to plan for 300-400 lbs of extra weight. In a large vehicle that is okay, but in a small vehicle it is a deal breaker. I only build small vehicles (Hondas, Suzuki Jimny) so I lust for good engine swap possibilities. There are so many choices of engines for diesel swaps in the EU! I am looking forward to your project.

Pontiac, peugeot never sold xud diesel cars in the US but that diesel engine was sold in the US in 751 Bobcat, the gearbox from a peugeot 405 petrol bolts on the diesel, so if you really want, you can find one there.

Back