1982 Lada Niva

Having a car that was built in a country that is at war is usually hard to get parts for, but that is not true for the little niva. Couple of days ago i thought, i should buy new seals for the little niva because i've seen couple drips of gear oil, after 40 years the oil seals have dry up. So i call my local parts store and they had everything on the shelf. I thought it's all old stock parts, but dates on the parts are 2021/2022. Otherwise i've been driving it quite a lot, manly on paved roads. The engine still has low oil pressure but otherwoods has good power and revs freely. Oh yeah, i did buy a spare dipstick just for prank on a friend who just bought a BMW.
IMG_20220808_192450_1.jpgIMG_20220809_001525.jpgIMG_20220809_001631.jpgIMG_20220809_001706.jpgIMG_20220809_001748.jpg

How are you gonna prank the BMW? Is it an N series motor?

Yeah, the prank happen about an hour ago. His girlfriend called me when they went out, i join their route mid way and started to play with him (Race). After 3 tries in everyone i've won in my 607 we both arrived at a friend's house, who know and told him pop the hood you must have something disconnected. I come by with the Lada dipstick and show it like he has no engine oil. At that point he freaked half of our friends started to laugh other half stood confused, he had the dipstick in his hand for some time and after 3 times his girlfriend asking him is that a genuine bmw dipstick and telling him i thought bmw did not have dipstick he got it. New BMW doesn't have a dipstick, and the Lada one is brand new i haven't got a drip of oil on it. His last car sized on him in Greece because he had no oil in it. At that point everybody laughs at his expense and we had a barbeque.
IMG_20220809_001748.jpg

Last edited:
F30 would be the chassis, 201x 3 series. I assume the dipstick is because BMW doesn't use one?

Car is called F30 the engine is N47, not a very good engine.

The little niva has been very reliable, aside from it leaking coolant and oil it's been very useful. There's something about it, when i stop somewhere there's always someone that wants to talk to you in my other peugeot's people usually don't or in the case of the black peugeot people ignore you. It's come to the point that is always outside on my car pad and i just jump in it and go anywhere. I've take in to the tops of mountains thru the woods, i've had a mountain climber came and ask me are you supermen, he had spent an entire day climbing in all its special gear and at the top there is me standing with my 120kg drinking a pepsi. He did not notice the little niva around the corner. I did drive him down to the city he had a severe heat stroke. i've put some pictures of couple of the places i've drive to, there is much more but i'm not the type of person that takes millions of pictures, i do enjoy the moment when i'm out there.
IMG_20220813_134406.jpgIMG_20220816_180656.jpgIMG_20220813_134419.jpgIMG_20220813_133616.jpgIMG_20220814_115800.jpgIMG_20220813_134411.jpgIMG_20220814_163823.jpg

Geez, I don’t think I’ve seen a Lada anything (let alone the 4x4) around these parts since the late 80’s-early 90’s.

They all tender to suffer the same fate the early Hyundai Ponies did in Atlantic Canada: severe rust and rapid return to the earth.

They were fun little cars to beat on off-road and rally style driving, but they just didn’t last around here due to poor rust protection. They were also fun to beat off-road because when people sold them, nobody would pay much for them, which meant they were “fodder” for younger guys looking to do something….stupid….with them…

Geez, I don’t think I’ve seen a Lada anything (let alone the 4x4) around these parts since the late 80’s-early 90’s.

They all tender to suffer the same fate the early Hyundai Ponies did in Atlantic Canada: severe rust and rapid return to the earth.

They were fun little cars to beat on off-road and rally style driving, but they just didn’t last around here due to poor rust protection. They were also fun to beat off-road because when people sold them, nobody would pay much for them, which meant they were “fodder” for younger guys looking to do something….stupid….with them…
When I was in my early 20's we could buy $50 VW Bugs to beat to death off-road, fun times!

Back