1982 Lada Niva

Today i had the day off work so after finishing couple of tasks in the morning i started on the little niva, i wanted to mount the wheel adapters so i can mount the wider wheels, i had to install and remove them couple of times till i got them without any runout, i also use blue loctite on the bolts and torque the bolts to factory specs and then used bolts to hold the wheel to the adapter after finishing the back two i moved it and did the same on the front, checking them with a dial indicator. The new set of rims may look familiar because they are sold world wide.
IMG_20191023_135219.jpgIMG_20191023_144633.jpgIMG_20191023_144643.jpgIMG_20191023_153844.jpgIMG_20191023_165720_1.jpg

Have you tried and checked that the adapters don't cause it to be out of balance yet?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

To be honest everything shakes and makes noise in the Niva is hard to check that but i don't feel any difference between this tires and the factory ones, only now is harder to turn when stationary.

Well i gave the little niva a good washing, drove it around, got fresh gas in it but the driveline vibration got worse and worse, it gets stronger with speed and less if a let off the throttle, by the time i drove it home it was shaking the entire car in all the gears higher then first, also the brakes definitely have more air in the lines. So i pull it back in the garage, I'll be dropping the driveshaft, transfer case maybe gearbox till i find the cause. My suspicion is the rubber donut on the back of the gearbox when i inspected it, it was very dusty because it hasn't been driven in years and is probably the original 37 years of age. When i thought i've changed all the rubber parts, yea russian rubber.
IMG_20191025_182807.jpg

Diagram of the 4wd on the little niva.
transd55555558888.JPG
I suspect the rubber donut circled in red.

1161.jpg

That looks alot like a Harmonic Balancer (not sure of the parts actual name) for the driveline and if its in bad condition would Absolutely cause the problems you are having. I helped a friend replace the one on his 1995 Dodge ram truck 4x4 with a manual transmission. His truck would vibrate the fillings from your teeth when his went bad which he also thinks was caused by being stored for a few years without being driven. Also I remember the shaking would start and stop in a certain RPM range pretty much regardless of the actual speed the truck was moving.

If it's anything like the Flex Disc on the BMWs then yes it will cause vibration. I used to replace mine every 25k. However, the tell tale sign was louder noise when you lift off the gas and vibration when you're on the gas.

If you suspect it's the driveshaft itself, since you have two, you can disconnect the one you suspect more to narrow it down.

1572035609605.png

Back