1982 Lada Niva

The holidays are upon us, this means i have spare time to spend on my computer, so this gave me a chance to make a diagram for the lada's new fuse box and all the equipment it powers. Ah, yeah i made it in macedonian.
Osiguraci Lada 1600.JPG

Today i spent some time working on my lathe, finishing couple of projects and some work on the little niva. Started the day with chucking the spare tire rim in my lathe and clean up the inside and out of the new centre plate, you can see how i mounted the rim i had to spin it pretty high (1200rpm) to get decent finish with the tool i had. Then i chamfered the bolt holes with a hand drill. Then i disassembled the littles Lada instrument panel and changed the tachometer with a newer unit in hopes it will read more accurately but no is the same, i also tried installing a 680 ohm- 2000 ohm resistor and no change. Even so the newer clean gauge is better than the old one, you can see the difference compared with the other gauges.
IMG_20200102_113727.jpgIMG_20200102_121829_2.jpgIMG_20200102_122334.jpgIMG_20200102_122957_1.jpgIMG_20200102_133124.jpg

I've been driving the little niva everyday last week, and couple thing started to annoy me, first the gas gauge is not working, and the LPG is not taking in gas. The gas gauge was a bit of a hassle, because i had to remove the backseat and unscrow the small cover and remove the sending unit and pickup. Then i clean the points with some sandpaper and it is working correctly now. The intake filter and tank itself are also very clean, this fixed only one problem but got me looking under the back and i saw what looks like the copper fill line is pinched. To double check i install temporary line and fill neck in the trunk and vent to the gas station and filled the LPG tank full so is not the safety valve in the tank. When i got back from the gas station i wanted to have a better look at that line so i jacked up and remove the rear wheel. Then that got me thinking i still don't have a spare tire for this set of wheels, so i quickly mounted the tire on still unpainted wheel, the yellow staff is some left over body filler is applied when doing the body work on my daily driver, and mounted it to see how it fits, i obviously took measurements and calculated when making the rim and it fits as i planned only if someone looks from the rear he will see that is a spacesaver ( pizza cutter). Thank for watching
IMG_20200111_185826.jpgIMG_20200111_185952_1.jpgIMG_20200111_201113.jpgIMG_20200111_201120.jpgIMG_20200111_201321.jpgIMG_20200111_201342.jpg

It's upgrade time for the little niva. First on the list is to change the spark plug wires with this better quality used set. Then i got to work making a spare tire carrier and holder i cut and used piece of the factory tube but because of the big radiator and electric fans i installed i had to make a Z bracket that goes around it then i made a stand for securing the spare tire that mounts to the steering box bolts and cross braced it to the bar and to the inner fender. The factory mount on the little niva was ripped out and the spare tire would act like a wrecking ball in the engine bay mounting the spare tire also provided a bit more storage, i can keep some tools in the inside of the rim and the jack fits in the little opening forward of the tire, i can also store my tire chains in the spare tire also. Next on the list is couple of cosmetic improvements, LPG filler and i need to make me a oil catch can. Thanks for watching.
IMG_20200114_141442.jpgIMG_20200114_143014.jpgIMG_20200114_170537.jpgIMG_20200114_175119_1.jpgIMG_20200114_175039.jpgIMG_20200114_180348.jpg

A bit more improvement on the little 4x4 today, i started by removing the old bumper panel that i fixed with body filler but the vibrations took apart, then i afford up the new and it wouldn't fit it has shrunk down so i took my head gun got it warm up and it forms nicly to the cold aluminium bumper two of the bolt bugs are in a different place so i drilled the holes in the metal bracket and screw it in place. Then i began working on a DIY catch can for the little niva, i have a an old compressor oil separator that was leaking so i could use it but i need to make fittings for it. But i wanted something a bit bigger something i can drain every oil change not every trip, the 40 year russian engine has very loose clearances, i look thru and found this A/C drier i think is from a ford. Its steel so i can weld to it and is big it can hold a decent amount. I cut it open and was surprised on how badly it was made bacilly it has a bag zip tied to the tube. At this point i stopped, i need to decide if i'm going to install baffles or just fill it with steel wool.
IMG_20200114_145414.jpgIMG_20200114_152404.jpgIMG_20200114_152416.jpgIMG_20200114_183616.jpgIMG_20200114_183640.jpgIMG_20200114_183820.jpg

The past week i've been putting on miles on the little niva. I definitely feel every mile that i put on it the vibration noise and lack of speed is definitely a change for me. I'm glad that i installed the comfortable french seats. And i noticed couple of drops of coolant, only when i'm parking it downhill the expansion tank has less in it and i went looking for leaks and after checking every hose and not finding any leaks i looked at the heater core and found this. Is not losing too much so i'll keep driving it and see about finding a a new unit to completely replace it. Otherwise the heater is incredible is like having a bonfire in the cabin.
IMG_20200119_122223.jpg

The little niva got its first bump, i was parked on a narrow road, talking on my phone when i felt a big bump apparently the other guy thought he can drive and talk and did not see my bright yellow/orange niva and crushed directly in it. The passat wasn't going too fast probably driving on idle but was fast enough to deploy the airbag in the steering wheel, i got out and thought fricking VW driver. I just painting it, the little nivas steel bumper was no mach for the vw's plastic one, only real damaged the littel niva got is one more broken finn in the front grill and couple small scratches. The other driver was cool about it, cops come and ask are you serious not even a broken headlight on the russian took both statements and that was that. It may need an wheel alignment but to get hit and not have any damage is pretty impressive. When i got home i gave it a wash and polished out most of the small scratches.
IMG_20200126_124228_1.jpgIMG_20200126_145028.jpg

Time for an update, the little Niva been good to me , i've been driving it, having fun with it jumping it parking it in places where other vehicles will ground out. The oil pressure is still way too low but is running fine. I've been checking the oil and other fluids once a week, today my inspection uncovered couple of things i had couple of light bulbs to change, somehow the water pump pulley is bent and is making some noise.
IMG_20200312_150124.jpgIMG_20200312_150133.jpgIMG_20200312_152016.jpg

It's freaking beautiful
like a baby Jeep

Yeah, i've driven in jeeps there leaf spring suspensions is way to hard they have terrible ride stock, unlike them the russians used coil springs in the little nivas and the ride is soft. I don't know if i've shared this funny video of a stock niva driving up stairs.

Back