1982 Lada Niva

Why a Fiat 4 speed 2 wheel rive transmission? Or is this like the old Suzuki with a stand-alone transfer case?

silverhawk, I did block off the bigger ports, and if little water get in, no big deal, its a diesel they are very robust engines.

Randy Wilson, The russians when were building this little 4x4 they had to use the parts they had, so the engine box, rear axle are the same as the sedans from the 80's, then they made a stand-alone transfer case to make it 4x4, in fact you've mentioned it the old suzuki copied some of the 4x4 parts and they are interchangeablei hope the picture makes it more clear.
20140509164130.jpg

Well last few i've been lazy, it that time of the year the temperature is up and when normal people go on vacation, but i managed to get the engine, gearbox, flywheels, rims off the trailer and pressure washed, the gearbox has so much dirt and grime on it i made a mess of my wash area, on the other hand the engine clean up very nicely, it looks like a clean unmolested old engine. I'm thinking, i want to test it on the ground before mounting it in the little niva, any ideas what to test and how.
IMG_20200629_202439.jpgIMG_20200629_202552.jpgIMG_20200629_202445.jpg

On another note, i did take the trailer to get inspected, there was couple of funny moments, especially about the trailer hitch, around here it must be certified and they are pricey, the guy there jump around on it for a bit, ask me have i tow with it, i told him the truth i just made the hitch part, the receiver is sturdy, i've towed stack cars from the dich with it. So they certified it, because of that the paperwork was taking a bit longer and one of the guys there ask me for a ride to the post office, i handed him the keys, he looked at it over the window and said ah no. Then the lugh come, what you can't handle the armstrong steering. Other guy said, you won't scrape the bumper on this one is guaranteed. So i drove him to and back from the post office when we got back the paperwork was done, from there i went to the police station (DMV) where they ordered me a 3rd licence plate same as on the little niva, and 2 weeks later they called and i went to get it also they noted it in the title and issued me a certified for towing, it was also funny when they wore typing it in the vehicle's title i told the lady to leave room in the paragraph, she ask for what, i told her for a changed engine, men did i get the look from her. When i got black i did pressure wash the trailer.

IMG_20200629_202049.jpg

I'm a person who wants to be always ready and i want to have spares for all my equipment and vehicles, and after i dicaded i'll use my last complete XUD9 in the littel niva i won't have enough spares, so i took the little niva for a drive with the trailer in tow and visited all the breakers yard. Found a place they had 3 XUD9, two normally aspirated and one turbo, but two of them are in cars and they don't remove them, one was already out, probably because someone needed a fuel pump and is hard to remove the pulley out with out the special tool, so he took out the entire engine and box, looked around the yard and found me a turbocharger, and a special alternator with the vacuum pump on the back of it, those are hard to find and very expensive. Because i found mayonez in the coolant hose and it had parts missing, the guy there priced it as scrap steel, after we loaded it on my trailer by hand, he started noticing, oh it has a starter, it has all the sensors, it has injectors, it has a vacuum pump, clutch is in it and he said man did you get a good deal on it, so i relay if you want to make it even better throw in this turbo and alternator, he said the turbo you can have but give me 10 bucks more for that alternator, so in total i paid 70$. I could have paid one more 0 to that price if i did not shop around, also the little niva helped i showed up in a working man vehicle.
IMG_20200708_144652.jpgIMG_20200708_144641_1.jpgIMG_20200708_144716.jpg

so in total i paid 70$. I could have paid one more 0 to that price if i did not shop around, also the little niva helped i showed up in a working man vehicle.
Your little Niva would charm anybody. And when pulling your little trailer well who could resist. I can feel the good vibes from here!

Well when i say my country and city are very small, next day after i bought the spare engine i got a call from an old friend that i've not heard from ever. I've heard you've bought the engine from the silver 309, i replied yes, turn out it was his uncle's car, told me little bit about it, started with men you should talk to me before buying it it has overheating issues, i told him i'm not worried is for spares. He continued you've overpaid thinking is a good engine, he is one of those guys that take forever on the phone, to short him i told him i paid 70$ for it plus couple more bits, and he stopped talking few seconds later he ask how. Turns out his father was the one the removed the engine from the vehicle and the scrapyard wanted a ridiculous price so he left it. He told me about a secret problem, that i checked. About 10 years ago a local mechanic when doing a valve cover gasket broke the centre camshaft cap and put it like that together, 3 bolts out and he was right, this is what i found.
IMG_20200709_213654.jpgIMG_20200709_213659.jpgIMG_20200709_213707.jpg

Nice connection! You will make it work.

joe

I had couple of hours waiting in the main city today so i decided to visit there tool market, i was looking for a spare tire for the little trailer, it has 8" rims same as a wheelbarrow, so after few rows i found a wheel for a wheelbarrow but is very low quality, i bought it 5$ with the thought, i can unload the trailer and get it home if i have a blow out, but right at the exit there was a vender selling motorcycle and ATV tire a ask him he said 8" noting that small, but i've seen right behind him tire that looked to be right size and similar thread. I ask him to check it i sure enough it is the right tire and load rating. I ask how much, he replayed 25$ and the negotiation begin, he dropped the price to 10$, at that price i thought it was alright so i bought it, i'll need to find me a heavy duty rim with bearings to have a full spare. Not bad negotiation with a person who had " Hard Ender " written on his t shirt :grin big: IMG_20200712_182536.jpgIMG_20200712_182525.jpg

Back