1987 Millport 1630 CNC Ajax AllinOneDC retrofit

bloomingtonmike

Active User
Registered
Here is my latest update.

Been working on the wiring a lot. Have most every "system" wired in that comes in from conduit. The VFD's power is wired in and it is connected to the spindle. I have motion on the spindle. Also have all the power circuits wired in - 220V, 110V transformer, 72V/79V transformer and cap/rectifier, 24V power supply. Also have a 110Vpower strip wired into the monitor cabinet and the RJ45 wired there. Also made a temp setup for my 15" touchscreen and went ahead and hooked up the computer.

Notice the little Gigabyte Brix computer I am using (looking at the pic the keyboard is on it and it is left of the monitor cable). It is 4"X4"X1" - i3-3227 chip, 16GB mem, 128GB SSD, gigabit wired connection, Wireless lan card, 2 USB 3.0, HDMI and mini display, Win8 (Win is req for Ajax Centroid and Mach). Pretty sweet.

The Ajax builds have a lot of testing for each step so that starts next. 24V Estop, Estop contactor, and limit switches. I also need to wire up the encoders - that's what the DB32 breakout is for under the controller.

PA164463_zpseeb4660b.jpg

PA164464_zps38906f5b.jpg

PA164463_zpseeb4660b.jpg

PA164464_zps38906f5b.jpg

Got it jogging last night. Here is a video.

[video=youtube;av4r68cCPxs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=av4r68cCPxs[/video]

Lookin good Mike. The price on the bridgeport kits are jaw dropping.

Lookin good Mike. The price on the bridgeport kits are jaw dropping.

Servos are pricey! I took a gamble with this machine that the servos and encoders would work.

So from Ajax I just bought the AllinOneDC, Centroid Software Unlock, and sprung for their Pendant. Pendant was not needed, and prob the centroid software was not needed either but the software is NICE from what I have seen.

Its all relative - All in all I will have less in this than my CastCNC 52X62X8 build with water cooled spindle and Vrail and vac table.

Video walk around of the mill

[video=youtube;qFE-9ClgFx8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFE-9ClgFx8[/video]

Video of Power Drawbar and shot of the Kurt vise

[video=youtube;O9hRbN3mWb4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9hRbN3mWb4[/video]

Mike,
The mill I just bought yesterday has the same a&t drawbar however one of the lines on the regulator/filter/lube container broke before I got it and was removed. Could you post up some close up pictures of the unit itself so I can see how the hoses are routed? I think the line that is missing comes out of the unit but goes back to the unit itself in a different spot.

Brian

To describe it

Air comes in regulator and through the oiler. It then Ts and goes in the top and bottom of the handled lever switch. It comes out the top and bottom and goes up to the air cyliner and impact on top of the head.

Awesome, the picture does it. Just wanted to make sure that line does in fact curve back up to the unit like you have it. Just got to find the right kind of line.

Thanks!

Brian

Back