1991 Vintage Taiwanese Made 10x24 Belt Drive Lathe

Bamban

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I was gifted this lathe, no motor, no chuck, and the rest of the machine is not bad. I got the motor part under control, picked up a TECO VFD and 1 HP WEG motor, the chuck is another story. The spindle nose thread is not the common variety, some people I talked to claim it is 2 inches x 8 TPI, others say it is 50MM x 8 TPI. I took some pictures of the spindle nose and posted them in the WTB, but got no bites, maybe taking the discussion in this section might generate some traffic and hopefully someone can direct me to the right place to get the proper back plate, Or even better if someone has one laying around doing and willing to sell it.

I am desperate...

One option is to machine one once my 1236 is up and running. I have no problem boring and threading a blank back plate and making some cuts to get it all squared up. Since I have not done this work before , I am not sure on a couple of things; 1. How does the back plate bottoms out, against the spindle face, or thread on thread? 2. How much radial clearance should I cut the back plate for the unthreaded section of the nose (don't know the proper name) when back plates screws in? 3. Should I put a hold screws on the back plate to keep it in place in case I run the lathe in the reverse? Would the hold down screw create an imbalance situation?

Here are the pictures of the spindle nose.

o0dn2e.jpg
vczz80.jpg
2rp4eg3.jpg
295y3wy.jpg
a3cd2s.jpg
f0nujb.jpg
15n0ug8.jpg

What is the correct thread size for this spindle nose

Thank you.

Hi
a.d.m fine 2" x 8 tpi this is a Admiralty thread.
hope this helps

Agree with Jeff on the 2" x 8tpi
The precision needed here is not entirely in the threads nor do you want a particularly tight thread fit, these threads are not used to force center (generally) precision is needed where the chuck/backing plate fits to the diameter at the base of the spindle thread and then seats against the perpendicular face on the spindle.

The above advice is from the making of a number of backing plates over the years and not from a known and accepted source.
Hopefully, some one "in the know" will confirm or correct,

Ken

I have '91 Busy Bee DF1224g , 12x24, the spindle size is DIN 600? German DIN something or other ,with an American 8TPI . 60mm x 8 TPI

Thank y'all for the inputs.

Ulma Doctor, the heading was somewhat misleading, when I checked the listing here is what the seller describes it to be. Thank you for your time.

"10" FACEPLATE FACE PLATE MOUNT 1-3/8" X 8 TPI w/ 2" HOLE THRU"

sorry i should have proofread b4 posting- i just read the title- duh!

Maybe the faceplate in indeed 2 x 8, is it practical or even feasible to mount a 3J or 4J chuck on to it?

Back