1st,& 2nd knurl

Haha, that's good to know that we are not alone! Yeah I've met some photography guys. That is a pretty expensive hobby! I had no idea.

You guys haven't been commercial fisherman as a side job :)

Still messing around with the knurls. Got Accu Traks coming.

erasing

playing

So, has the mystery of the tapering pattern been resolved?

I don't know but now I'm seeing longitudinal grooves with an interesting pattern in them. How was that pattern made? I hope my eyes are not giving up on me. o_O

I'm guessing an end mill held by a drill chuck in the QCTP that was driven by a drill.

LOLO heads,,,,hex collet in the mill with a 1/4" bull nose 2 flute bit, after knurling, and grooving, then back to the lathe for pictures.:grin::grin::grin: The far end still gets a lighter pattern.

Eh, more than one way to skin a cat and all that.

This is a full depth pattern that looks a lot more even, Mike, but there is a lot of flaking. How many passes did you make to get this pattern?

You might try putting a little more than half the width of the wheel on the end of the work and apply enough pressure to make sure the pattern tracks. You do this by turning the chuck by hand and watching the pattern emerge. If it mistracks, apply more pressure to the knurls. Once it tracks, increase pressure until you get the pattern depth you want, then back the tool off of the work. Make sure the locking nut is tightened against the main nut so it can't back off on you. You should have already put a generous chamfer on the work so start the lathe and apply some lube, then just feed the tool onto the work piece and run it down the work piece. This is made much easier if your knurls have beveled edges or is a convex knurl.

If you wish to avoid flaking as much as possible, open up the knurler to take pressure of the wheels and just back the tool out. Or you can leave it in contact but feed out fast.

Give it a try.

I will, this was a run in tighten, run back out, I am tightening the lock nut now, always. PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE. Thank you....

I hope you guys can keep tolerating this. I need to try, and get some SS drops to practice on. I'm still waiting for the Accu traks, UPS ground, so next week probably, and the carbide pins too.
This is a single pass in only, plus the mill cuts....

Back