1st attempt on lathe

Thanks to everyone for all the good advice, more than just quick comments, very detailed replies and links. I am using the links now. I am not sure what kind of steel it was other than CHEAP, whatever was the cheapest as I was just learning with it.

My bit was HSS, that I ground myself. I will need to follow Mikey's post and see if I can grind a better tool.

I do not own the machine but have access to it. I am trying to use it 1 day a week and learn.

I have another question. The cross slide seems to have a lot of play in it. The play is in the direction of the travel, ie front to back. Seems like I can turn the dial halfway before it even moves when I change direction. Once it moves then it will continue solidly in the direction I am going. I am not sure if there is some easy adjustment or something that is not tightened completely, or if the slop is from all the years of use? The machine appears to be in good condition for the age I guess of 60 years old. I think it is a Sheldon. I can get more pics and info.

Thanks again

The play you are talking about is likely backlash in the drive mechanism. You can likely adjust some of it out, but some will always be there. And if it's not your machine you should talk to the owner before messing with it. The biggest thing to remember in working with it is that you need to take it up before the dials will read properly. Try to mostly move the same direction when measuring with the dials.

Edge technology makes a couple handy lil gadgets to set tool height with bubble vile you first set them on a flat surface say on your compound and level the tool to your lathe then follow the instructions I have this one you install into your chuck and set tool height I have a holder for each tool so this one works for me ed-02-001-main.jpgthey also make another one for if you need to change tools in the same holder you hold against your stock and adjust to level there's also a couple other sellers on ebay who sell simaler tools with the same concept I have a couple gadgets from edge and really like them also I'm not affiliated with edge in any way just a happy customer

speedy_lathe_gage_by_edge_technology_for_setting_cutting_tools_on_spindle_axis_lathe_left__704...png

Also if you check on youtube there's a couple videos on making a center height tool you can also put a dead center in your spindle hole and adjust it that way but it's very useful to do it that way if you need to use multiple tools in the same holder

Oxtool has the video I watched on building a center height gauge

Back