1st Brake

Well this figures: After taking great care to machine my own brake, I find out today that Iowa's Governor Brandstad will be at Brownell's to sign the new firearm bill into law Wednesday at 3:00. One feature of the bill makes it legal now to use a suppressor in Iowa. So now I have to file a Form 1 and make a suppressor. DANG THE LUCK! Will the work never end? I hope not.:clapping:

Tom

Nothing like needing to engineer a suppressor to fit over your brake!

Jon, the brake was first a learning exercise, and secondly a neat termination for the threaded HBAR 300 barrel. I think the suppressor will take its place. Thread is 5/8" . . . same as the thread on the .223 (after I thread it). I need to learn more about suppressors, trusts, and general BATF regs to avoid trouble. Suppressor designs I've seen so far seem to be very compatible with my smaller equipment and no doubt I will learn more about machining when the time comes. It appears that I can however, at least start with a machined solvent tube - and stay out of jail. When the Form 1 is cleared I can move on to internals. One of the things I will have to learn is threading, since I've always been able to use taps and dies. The learning is the fun part for me. No doubt my QC Inspector past will continue to harass me through this project as it has with other projects.

Tom

Typically a .223 has a 1/2" x 28 thread. Consider remaking your brake to contain a connector for the suppressor. That could also give it something to index or register on and keep it aligned. Check out some of the commercially available options for connection ideas.
Dave

Typically a .223 has a 1/2" x 28 thread. Consider remaking your brake to contain a connector for the suppressor. That could also give it something to index or register on and keep it aligned. Check out some of the commercially available options for connection ideas.
Dave

Thanks Dave. I've seen some of the adapters. even one with a 3 lug mount. The 300 HBAR barrel has a diameter of .860". and the .223 is at .725". (I like fat barrels, I cannot lie). The 300 thread is 5/8 - 24 and the .223 unthreaded boss is right for a 5/8" thread. The plan for the brake was to turn my own crush washer for indexing. Is there some advantage to using a suppessor with a brake? I know people do this, but I wonder why. In my case the sheer weight of the barrel may be as effective as many brakes in controlling muzzle jump, and recoil reduction is not really an issue with either rifle. For me, the appeal of the can is that the 300 can be loaded to subsonic and still be an effective hunting firearm.

Tom

The reason to mount to the brake for me is a quick disconnect can be built in. I don't know of any gain in noise suppression by including a brake.
Dave

Back