1st Time Chuck Removal

Jaqkar

Registered
Registered
Hi Guys

I want to remove my chuck and give it some TLC and while I am at it determine what size the spindle is for future collets etc.

From what I understand this is a cam system and between the V's its tight and at the | it will be lose? Do I need to loosen the circled screw on top first and then the bottom ones?

IMG-4332.jpg

Do nothing with the screws. All you have to do is line up the | marks. Be sure to support the chuck, I normally use a rod through the chuck and into the spindle. If the chuck fits very well, you may have to tap it with a soft hammer to loosen.

Thanks Jim, going to use some wood under it as well.

Guys, is it OK to put a little bit of oil on the cam lock studs just for rust prevention?

Guys, is it OK to put a little bit of oil on the cam lock studs just for rust prevention?

Good question. And the answer is: I don't know. They are a friction lock, but would oil make a difference? I have never oiled mine and have never had a rusting problem.

I wipe mine with an oily rag, along with wiping down the chuck. more for cleaning, then rust prevention. I think they are such a tight fit, that even a squirt of oil will not allow them to turn open. But, i would not do more then a oily rag wiping.

How about using graphite powder instead?

I live in Hawaii so rust is an issue here. I wipe some oil on my cams, too, and have no issues with loosening.

Back