1st time nod of Bridgeport head

AGCB97

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Yesterday I needed to make some V groove blocks to ride on the ways of my grinder project (17) YET another tool and cutter grinder | The Hobby-Machinist (hobby-machinist.com)

DSCF4542.JPG

There were several ways I thought it could be done. 1. I have a 45 degree cutter and arbor. 2. Could clamp it in the vise on an angle somehow.

But since I've never nodded my Bridgeport and didn't know if it would be frozen or gears stripped, I decided to try nodding the head to prove it.

It wasn't any of the bad things it could have been and worked easily. It was tilted head forward and slightly hard to see like that so maybe next time will try tilting back.

Today it was straightened up and retrammed. Used the tramming tool I made a couple years ago. It took less than 5 minutes to tram the nod and check the tilt.

Thanks for looking
AaronDSCF4531.JPGDSCF4532.JPG

DSCF4541.JPGDSCF4534.JPGDSCF4535.JPG

Good on you. It's built with that feature for a reason. Haven't used it on mine yet, but when the need to arises I will. Mike

It's a nice feature to have, like backgears on a lathe
-Mark

In all my 50+ years in machine shops, I have never heard of "nodding the head" until I found this forum! I guess you learn something new every day. Maybe it's a Yupper expression. :grin:

Richard

That's the term I've seen, probably on this forum. Otherwise I don't know what you would call it. Anyone???

There are several tramming videos on YT that mention Nod.

That's the term I've seen, probably on this forum. Otherwise I don't know what you would call it. Anyone???
We always just called it “tipping the head” or “set the head at x number of degrees”. Not saying one is right or wrong, I just find it interesting the different terms that people use.
Richard

In all my 50+ years in machine shops, I have never heard of "nodding the head" until I found this forum! I guess you learn something new every day. Maybe it's a Yupper expression. :grin:

Richard
Nodding to it :)

Back