2.250 x 14 TPI tap

rwm

Robert
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I feel like Roger Stauback. I'll just throw this hail Mary pass (on Easter) and hope someone has a 2.250 x 14 TPI tap to chase the threads in my 10 ton C frame. I know it's a weird thread size. If you have one let me know. If you have another good idea, let me know.
Otherwise I have this brewing idea to cut a plug out of aluminum and embed a 60 deg thread cutting tool....
Robert

I feel like Roger Stauback. I'll just throw this hail Mary pass (on Easter) and hope someone has a 2.250 x 14 TPI tap to chase the threads in my 10 ton C frame. I know it's a weird thread size. If you have one let me know. If you have another good idea, let me know.
Otherwise I have this brewing idea to cut a plug out of aluminum and embed a 60 deg thread cutting tool....
Robert

I like your idea. I can see it being like a one-cutter face mill but with the cutting edge on the outside instead of the bottom.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Might be easier to make your own tap to chase the thread if you have a lathe and a mill. You can thread it and then cut multiple reliefs and then harden it as needed. About $30 in materials.

Oh jeez- making my own tap is a whole other complication and a long thread! MKSJ- are you going to advise me thru it?! Do you thing the aluminum plug with tool steel cutter insert will fail to perform?
RObert

Are you cleaning up existing threads? Are you starting from scratch? You might be further ahead Using a 7/16 course (14 pitch) tap and scraping the old threads.
We don't know what you're trying to do.

Sorry, more detail in another thread. I am cleaning up existing damaged threads in cast iron.
After some research, it appears that 2-1/4-14 TPI taps do not exist as an industry standard. How would I go about scraping with a standard tap? Just try to engage the cutting edge? I like this idea.
Robert

That particular model does not go large enough but it is a lot like my plug with cutter idea.
Robert

I believe that the Amazon one does. The problem I see with your initial design is How to adjust cutter depth.

Set screw threaded into the tunnel from opposite side. Another perpendicular set screw locks in place.
R

Back