2.250 x 14 TPI tap

I checked for that tool it will go to 2.250 and more. I could send it to you if you think it’ll work for you. There’s a sleeve that is on the back that’s removable for small diameters the way it’s configured I goes past 3”. Pm me if you want.
image.jpg

Wow. Thank you! It looks like that could be useful. I may borrow that if the tap fails.
Robert

The tap is pretty long and the threads short. I was planning on putting some kind of handle on both ends of the tap, laying the threaded hole horizontally and using both hands and my weight to force the tap against the threads. To make a handle I may tap a blind hole in the end of a piece of aluminum and bottom out the tap.
Robert

Robert, does the part you're working on look like a tube?
If so maybe you can rig up some kind of c-clamp arrangement that runs on the outside of the tube?

Is the part removable? Can you chuck it on the lathe or mount to mill table?

-brino

It's from this thread

1586878021996.png

No way am I putting this on my lathe!
I will continue on the other thread after I get the tap.
Robert

Tom- you are a rocket scientist! I took your advice and scraped with a 1 x 14 TPI tap. I used a handle so I could hold both ends and apply even force.

1586980970468.png

1586981009388.png

5 minutes later!
1586981041042.png

That was just too easy! Before I could only get 2 turns engaged. Hopefully the cylinder will not blow out and clock me in the head...
So pleased with all this great advice.
Robert

....... Hopefully the cylinder will not blow out and clock me in the head...

Robert

Should the threads fail, the cylinder can't move any faster than the piston can move. (unlike a pneumatic cylinder)

Good point. How dangerous is it if there is a little air in the system? I assume small amounts are OK.
Robert

Last edited:
You can calculate the maximum possible movement from the volume of air. The distance would be less than the air volume divided by the cross sectional area of the cylinder.

Reactions: rwm
It is a 2 square inch piston so x/2 = negligible!
Robert

Back