2 Axis, Magnetic, 1um, Low Cost, Lathe DRO

That is very interesting. I have been looking for the magnetic strip/tape scale. How does that hold up to oil and coolant? This would work well on my Southbend 10K.
Robert

That is very interesting. I have been looking for the magnetic strip/tape scale. How does that hold up to oil and coolant? This would work well on my Southbend 10K.
Robert
Supposedly it's impervious to all those things. Just doesn't like magnets. We'll see.

Interesting and well done. @Muda where did you source the scales, display etc?
@rwm I also have a 10K so I'm interested in how you might do this on yours.

Is yours the new 10K or the old classic? Mine has gib screws on the right side of the cross slide that are a problem for mounting a DRO. I could mount it on the left side but eventually the spinning chuck will take off the scale.
If you go to YouTube he has links on his page for the source.
Robert

Mine is the old classic with rounded surfaces everywhere on the carriage.

David, it can still be done. I mounted one on my friends old soutbend 9A on curved surfaces. Takes a little cheating, but it can be done!

David, it can still be done. I mounted one on my friends old soutbend 9A on curved surfaces. Takes a little cheating, but it can be done!

At the risk of hi jacking this thread, do you don’t have any pics of the install?

30 years ago. lathe sold 5 years ago. no. We'll talk by phone sometime next week?

Back