2 drawbars for MT2 on Clausing 8520/30 ?

JohnAspinall

Active User
Registered
I'm on the lookout for MT2 tooling for my 8530. But some of the MT2 tooling takes a drawbar with 3/8-16 UNC thread, and some takes an M10-1.5 metric thread.
It strikes me that it would be faster to make a second drawbar with the other thread, than to hunt down the arbors I want with the drawbars I want.

Anyone done this? Any pros or cons?

The down side is having to match up the wrench, draw bar and accessory every time that you use one. Personally, I wouldn't do it. Mixed MM/Inch is a PITA.

Painting all of the collets is going to be iffy.

I have several machines with MT-2 tooling. 3/8-16 and M10X1.5 are close enough that my tired old eye can't see the difference without both in hand. Color coding sounds like the best solution. I have the metric marked but a Sharpie does wear off after while. Painting sounds good, two colors sounds better.

Although marked, I know which is which tool and usually just pick up what I need. With several machines, 2 tailstocks, a horizontal mill, a drill press, plus wife's wood lathes, and others, I do put in some effort into keeping track of which has what.

I have the same issue , could the metric arbors , which I would think be hardened , have just the end annealed so I could drill it out and use a 3/8-16" Heicoil in it ?

Back