2 Phase Motor

Re: 2 Phase Motor/power switch picture

That looks to be a standard 3 phase connection.

Yes.

If it is truly a 2 phase system one of the heaters will be different the the other two.

Only if it was wired correctly.

You may end up needing to get us a picture of the windings on the motor in order to resolve what you really have.

And a photo of what's in the other box. Did the shop where it was running have three phase?

The shop it came from did have 3 phase. The other box just has 2 push buttons. One for off and the other for on. I'm beginning to think something may have been done inside the motor. The end housings appear to have been rotated 90 deg. With the motor sitting on the base the tag is on the top so you can read it. The oil cups are facing to the side. No way those cups will hold oil that way. Someone has definately been inside. I'm going to try to get it apart, tomorrow, and see what I have. Nothing like a good mystery.

Last edited:
Re: 2 Phase Motor/more pics

Windings and armature. I expected to see 4 wires with two of them joined together before exiting the housing. I can't see anywhere that any modifications have been made.

can you get another picture of the windings taken far enough away so that we can see how the windings overlap each other

Art B

Re: 2 Phase Motor/winding pics

More winding pics

It looks to me that it is a 6 pole 2 phase motor, that would go along with the rpm stated on the tag as well. How they got it to run with that mag starter wiring it not sure????

Art B

It looks to me that it is a 6 pole 2 phase motor, that would go along with the rpm stated on the tag as well. How they got it to run with that mag starter wiring it not sure????

Art B

Thanks Art. I sure wish I could talk to the guy that wired it. At any rate, I'm done messing with it. I don't want to take a chance hooking it up the way they did. I'm going to repower the drill press and retire this old work horse. It will make a great door stop and conversation piece.

Art B

I would not be surprised if a two phase motor would just run hooked to three phase, though with reduced power, increased heat, and some vibration.

Back