2 step motor pulley

SubtleHustle

Registered
Registered
Just got a new to me south bend 9a, only problem I have found on it is a busted 2 step motor pulley. Apparently these pulleys are hard to come by, because I cannot find any. If anyone knows where I could pick one up, I'd be greatly appreciative! Thanks in advance.

Same problem with my Craftsman 12" . Looks like one will have to be made for it.
Good luck!
Dave

That pulley is not correct for the belt size. To be able to change speeds from high to low range on the motor, the pulley has to be compatible in size to use the same belt length on both pulley combinations, so you can roll the belt off one side and roll it back on the other without moving the motor.
https://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/motor-pulley-size.68961/

Just an observation on the fix:

I have a Craftsman 12X36 (101.27440). When I replaced the motor,(Baldor) the replacement had a 5/8" shaft with the original having a 1/2" shaft. I tried to bore the original pulley to 5/8". Weellllll, set it up to bore... ... It was far too small so I ended up replacing it with a larger pulley to get the proper shaft size. I actually cut down a much too large pulley into one just a little too big.

The salient point here? It significantly increased the speed of the shaft, such that at the lowest back geared setting, winding a coil (freehand) was a PITA. Any replacement should be checked for size of the pulley as well as the size of the shaft. And an appropriate corrected speed chart documented.

I'm not so sure you're facing the same problem, but it is something to watch out for.

Bill Hudson​

Just an observation on the fix:

I have a Craftsman 12X36 (101.27440). When I replaced the motor,(Baldor) the replacement had a 5/8" shaft with the original having a 1/2" shaft. I tried to bore the original pulley to 5/8". Weellllll, set it up to bore... ... It was far too small so I ended up replacing it with a larger pulley to get the proper shaft size. I actually cut down a much too large pulley into one just a little too big.

The salient point here? It significantly increased the speed of the shaft, such that at the lowest back geared setting, winding a coil (freehand) was a PITA. Any replacement should be checked for size of the pulley as well as the size of the shaft. And an appropriate corrected speed chart documented.

I'm not so sure you're facing the same problem, but it is something to watch out for.

Bill Hudson​

That's why they make bushings for motors.

Quote:That's why they make bushings for motors.

I make my own bushings but this one is the other way around. Although I can make a shaft reducer, it would stick out too far requiring me to relocate the motor. Simpler to cut down a pulley to (almost) fit. You had it bass ackward... ...

Back