2" X 42" Belt Sander

I put a new stop start switch on my home made belt sander.
IMG_0626.JPG
IMG_0627.JPG
IMG_0628.JPG I got this switch on Ebay for 12 bucks. it is all self contained like a little magnetic starter. The switch buttons are momentary and there is a little coil in the switch so when you shut it off it breaks both lines instead of just the power line. The big stop paddle can be removed but that was on reason I got it. I am going to be putting these on all my machines. As soon as I get the fingers on my brake ( which I am working on now), I will bend covers to enclose the motor.

Looks great.

I would love to get some feedback on that switch after some time with it.

I absolutely love this switch. It is so easy to work and especially to shut off. I'm getting one for my drill press, both my bench grinders, And my band saw especially. I am going to replace that toggle switch that starts the saw and then the saw hits it to shut off at the end of cut , with a momentary switch and then I have a start button , a nice big emergency stop button and my saw will still shut off at the end of cut.

Wonderful project and plans, Mark. I also have been eyeing those switches, thinking about using them on several machines here also.

I made a couple, I hope, improvements to my 2" belt sander. When I designed it, it was designed to use a 48 frame motor. I didn't have one ( I had one but it was on the Bonelle grinder). Well, the motor took a crap on the belt sander ....soo ......... Since I don't use the Bonelle any more, I took the 48 frame motor off it for the belt sander. Now when I built the sander and put a 56 frame motor on it , I had to cobble together some mounting bracers to get everything lined up.it worked but didn't look great. I use this sander a LOT. I took it all apart and made a new base plate from 3/8" aluminum plate. WOW.... What a difference. Using the correct frame motor made everything fall into place and it looks much better. Much "cleaner" looking.
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg I added this gusset to the frame. It is a piece of 1/4" aluminum plate. The aluminum frame tipped out about an 1/8" at the top when the belt tension was applied. This was overcome by adjusting the tracking. It worked but I didn't like it. This gusset eliminated the problem. Now everything is all lined up as it should be , the sander runs better and looks much better. This motor is a ball bearing motor ( the old one was not). I'm going to contradict myself a little here. This new motor is 3450 rpm. Twice the speed of the old one. Originally , I calculated the SFM according to the belt manufacturers recommendations. This fast speed works great on steel, but can be to fast for aluminum if you aren't carefull. Also it will wear a really course belt such as 40 or 60 grit really quickly. This won't be a problem because I will be using 120 and 180 grit belts. I have another sander for 40 and 60 grit that runs slower. The course belt can be used here but it's life will be a little shorter. So , my conclusion is you can run either speed and have good results. I have to design a new table setup though. The original won't fit. I'm going to look up another build on here because he used a great table setup. ( I just have to find it again). I was happy with this sander before but am really happy now.

After changing the motor the old table wouldn't fit. I need a new design, so, I stole .... er ... I mean borrowed that great design by rwm. I like that design.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg I now need to order a steel plate for the table ( I find the aluminum table gouges too easily).

Mark , is there enough support for the table with the thin aluminum frame. I think it may be the reason for the gouging .
How are you , still working hard in your shop. I'm still emptying my overstuffed garage. Think I'm gonna sell my old woodworkers bench it's a nice one too. The tops 3" thick ,with vices built in . Looks like cypress wood to me. I need the room I'm supposed to be getting a surface grinder this week . Kind of a really tough job doing it all from a wheelchair. It's been so hot all week I didn't get anything moved . But I'm working on it. Only took thirty years of collecting no not really inhearated lots from family . If I have room I'm going to build a belt sander just haven't decided the size .

Mark , is there enough support for the table with the thin aluminum frame. I think it may be the reason for the gouging .
How are you , still working hard in your shop .

The frame is plenty rigid. I found working with steel parts on the aluminum table , it doesn't take much banging around to get a "wear" area on the top in front of the belt. The aluminum is just too soft for this application. I have a steel table on my other belt sander and it has held up well.

I know how difficult it is to try to do things from the wheel chair. I'm very fortunate to be out of mine about half the time. I can get by with a stool in the shop now, but I know, one day I will be back in that chair all time. My shop is too crowded to get the wheel chair in now so I will have to make big changes in the future.

Hang in there and remember, we can do anything anyone else can do, it just takes a little planning.

Back