20 Foot Shipping Container Metal Shop

I have seen several sea/land containers converted to electrical control rooms in rock plants and in the Oil patch. They build a false floor 12 to 18 inches above the floor this allows them to run all the power and control lines in the "basement". Most floors are made out of 2 x 10 planks screwed to a steel stud frame built on close centers. This may not be rigid enough for machine tools but you get the idea.

Jim

I have seen several sea/land containers converted to electrical control rooms in rock plants and in the Oil patch. They build a false floor 12 to 18 inches above the floor this allows them to run all the power and control lines in the "basement". Most floors are made out of 2 x 10 planks screwed to a steel stud frame built on close centers. This may not be rigid enough for machine tools but you get the idea.
Hello Jim, we do the same thing with our offshore containers. I will have a rotary phase converter, a 3 phase transformer and a single phase transformer wall mounted. I plan on having the ability to plug any input voltage into the container and get the required single and 3 phase out. This however will require an electrical cabinet and access. Since the space is so tight, I will also run the wiring on the walls so that I have the ability to move power points as I tune the layout.

I have also just purchased the H beams I will be using for the bridge crane rails and for the span on the ctane. I need to order some skateboard wheels for the crane to roll on and some scrap metal to make the mounting brackets. I have a friend who is a welder so he will weld the rails up for me. This needs to be done before I put up the walls and ceiling so I will carefully plan the dimensions and location for the mounting points.
I am spending extra time planning now so that I won't run into any major problems.

Paul.

Well things have been a little slow. I figured that I would like to have a rolling bridge crane to help me change the milling tables and heads. It will also come in handy for storing heavy items like my anvil up on my tool cabinets. It makes sense to install this before I start with the insulation so the heat from the welding won't melt the styrofoam. I was lucky to be able to pick up the winch / crane, the trolley and the H beams all in one trip for a very reasonable price:
Optimized-P1010773.JPG Optimized-P1010774(1).JPG Optimized-P1010775.JPG
Since I need a table saw to rip down the wall studs to the right size and won't have 3 phase on for a while I decided to purchase a small diesel generator. It's 4.5 KVA and has dual 3 phase and single so I can use it for the machines I need to use to get the container sorted. I wanted to get a decent genset straight away and stumbled onto a used Yanmar YDG5500 TE that has electric start. It was used on rare occasions so it appears to be in good shape. I tried to get a half decent generator straight away as this has been on my list of must have items for a long time.This will provide my power needs in the immediate future.
Yanmar YDG 5500.jpg
The next step is to fetch my bandsaw, angle grinder and metal brackets that will hold the H beams in place. My neighbor who was a professional welder said he will do the welding for me. I then need to ensure the materials show up so I can get a start on insulating the container.

Paul.

I repaired the generator today so it is now operational. I now have power to rip down the studs I'll use on the walls. The problem with genny turned out to be a stuck fuel pump piston. It took me about an hour and a half of fiddling with it but I eventually got it loose. After re-assembly and bleeding the fuel lines, I gave the pull started a single pull and it came to life. All voltage readings were correct so I was a very happy camper indeed.

I'll be picking up some tools this week to help me dimension the materials for the container. Photos to follow as I make progress.

Paul.

It has been a hectic last week. Inbetween rainfall and bedtime I have been working non-stop on the container. The first step was to pick up all the materials.

Optimized-P1010789_zpsiulvywhx.jpg

I chose to reinforce the floor with 21mm waterproof ply wood. I ground the underside so that the building glue would stick well to the surface and hold it down to the 25mm untreated ply beneath. Once the floor was glued it was also screwed down, then I started on the wall studs. I tried to optimize the work flow by setting up a saw station with stops at the appropriate lengths to save time.

Optimized-P1010783_zpsjdnhxqay.jpg

Optimized-P1010786_zpsksfg8atc.jpg

Once the wall studs were in I glue up ceiling battons. I then moved on to the doors and began installation of the styrofoam insulation on the walls.

Optimized-P1010796_zpsmrp34xcg.jpg

Since the idea is the machines can be strapped down for transit, I needed to cut out the walls where the tie-downs were located. My first pass was with a smaller hole-saw as I didn't have access to my large hole saw at that time.

P1010794_zps4zpv5nha.jpg

I located my larger hole saw and cut out the styro and the ply seperately as I didn't want to risk cracking the insulation on breaking the fragile edge of the ply.

P1010817_zpspxytstl1.jpg

We have begun screwing up the walls as well now. As you can see we have pre-painted the ply (my friend Oreste painting in the picture) and the horizontal wall braces. I chose a light machine grey for the walls and the same blue colour as my machine cabinets to tie everything in together. I wanted a wall colour that would not be too bright to reduce glare and eye strain since I will be using flouro lights.

Optimized-P1010801_zps5omduhht.jpg

P1010818_zps7umt03ed.jpg

I have had to stop as it's time to weld up the H beams in the corners for the rolling bridge crane. I have cut all the brackets and and the H beams to length and ground all the weld points in the container and on the H beams and brackets. I am just waiting on a friend with the appropriate welding ticket to weld everything.

Although containers look quite precise there is huge variation and tolerances are very sloppy to what I am used to even in the carpentry game. I have spent hours on the planer to shave down the door studs so that the ply wood will not put too much strain on the glue when it is screwed onto the walls. I have also had the help from my friend and his son. This has been very valuable as the window of opportunity between rain is often short and they have really helped speed things along. Their German attention to detail means they have done a top job and require no supervision at all making the process very fast. More photos to follow as I make more progress.

Paul.

I did the same thing, finishing out a 20' shipping container for my shop. Might not be enough room for all your machines.
Mine, I framed it out with 2X4's and fiberglass insulation and sheeted with 3/4" tongue and grove OSB. Drilled holr for power and connected 100 amp 220v breaker box with wiring ran through surface mounted conduit.
Flooring in theses is 3/4" marine plywood. You need to find the floor crossmembers for mountin bolts. I tried lag bolts, but they kept pulling out.
I currently have the following in it:
SB 9A lathe with original cabinet
Clausing 8520 mill
New floor mounted drill press from Lowes (don't rememberr the brand right off)
5' steel work bench
HF power hack saw
Miller stick welder
Couple self built shelves
I went this way for a couple different reasons, but same idea as wanting to sell house and wanted it moveable and no property tax issues.
Not much room left for anything with room to work. Plus side is I can heat it with a small 2 settings (1300 watt/1500 watt) electric heater and cool it with a 5,000 BTU window AC unit.
I'll post some pic's later to give you idea of room.

I would like to put two 20 foot ones beside each other and cut an opening in the sides to join them together for a shop.

My friend (and landlord) Frank who is a welder came over this afternoon and we managed to get the H beams for the travelling bridge crane welded up in place. I over specc'ed the supports as I only needed 3 but wanted to leave nothing to chance and used 5 per beam instead. This means I have a clean run to get the rest of the walls and doors insulated and sheeted tomorrow and Tuesday.
P1010820_zpsjzojkdmw.jpg

P1010819_zpszow7arsy.jpg

This will allow me enough time to install my RPC, transformer and electrical sockets throughout the week. I will also install recessed tie down loops into the floor but will wait until the machines are in before I do this. I also have 3 more cabinets to paint before moving in the machines. I will wait to paint the drwaer faces as this can be done even after the machines are in place.

Paul.

Last edited:
Back