[4]

20 Ton Press

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

Surprman

Active User
Registered
Picked-up a nice 20 ton shop press off Craig's list today. Only $50! Still need to move it downstairs to the shop (it is heavy and awkwardly shaped).

Attachments

Groundhog

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
Good find.
I've been looking for a good used press for a couple of years (guess I don't really need one too bad?). Usually if you find one the seller wants way too much.

FLguy

But when you need one..... I use mine for forming, broaching, staking, setting and pressing out bearings, lastly, straightening bar stock. A press is a wonderful machine to have.

kd4gij

Active User
Registered
Nice score. :congrats: If you take the jack off and the table it will be lighter and easer to move. oh and :you suck:

tweinke

Active User
Would be nice to have a press like that, good find! being it appears to be bolted together just take it apart and move it?

woodchucker

Registered
Registered
I made my own benchtop model. I used bed frames , welded them up. It's indespensible. In the past I broke a vise from over tightening it to press something. I had a part that was stuck and made it to release the part. Glad I did, with a 2 ton bottle it took all of that. I now have a 6 ton jack, the unit was overbuilt, so I think I should be ok . Now I wish it were bigger. I have used it many times, to bend metal, to flatten it, to press bearings. Amazing how useful

kvt

Active User
My would recommend taking apart and moving it in pieces. That way you can also verify all the bolts are good etc.
Nice, and have fun.

brino

Active User
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)

Surprman

Active User
Registered
Thanks all! Yeah, it think I will be taking out the top 4 bolts. That will allow me to take it downstairs in three pieces. Looking forward to using it!

Surprman

Active User
Registered
Move complete! I think I am going to have to build one of those break press attachments for it in the future . That looks pretty handy.

Attachments

kd4gij

Active User
Registered
Looks good. Now all you need is one of these.

1514600743563.png

whitmore

Registered
Registered
Looks good. Now all you need is one of these.
Is that an air-powered intensifier? How well does it work? The pump handle sticking out at
eye level is a bit of a nuisance.

Surprman

Active User
Registered
I might have to upgrade to one of those air over hydraulic units some day (when I have a spare $120). For now, I added some less costly castors to make the unit mobile. Kind-of handy in my smallish (and presently dirty) shop.

Attachments

RandyM

H-M Supporter - Commercial Member
Staff member
I am a little curious, how do you guys with castors on your presses prevent them from moving around on you when you are using it? I think I'd have a problem with that.

FOMOGO

Active User
You could use casters with brakes. Mine is happy in one spot, but I have a fair amount of room. Mike

RandyM

Staff member
You could use casters with brakes. Mine is happy in one spot, but I have a fair amount of room. Mike
Mike,

True, but I have found that locking casters are a pain to deal with and are not nearly as free from movement as I'd like. I have the room too, mine is mounted on rubber leveling pads. I can visualize fighting press location while using it with casters, I'd struggle with that. To me it is like a vice, needs to be solid and to hold the work in one place. I can put some big and awkward parts in my press. I have on rare occasions pivoted (walked) the press on the leveling pads to gain some extra room. Now mind you, my press is only a little 12 ton HF.

D

Deleted member 34477

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
Replacing the top four long bolts with eight short grade 5 bolt/nuts make a huge difference in rigidity. This also allows you to really square up the frame work.

kvt

Active User
I have not put the castors on yet, but have to move things around just to get access to use it. and if need to pull it out for something bigger than just a small part or to adjust height, then have to move it out. Which also involves moving Air Compressor and Mig. One of the things I though of was a set of castors on a lever action where I could pull the rod and raise it onto the castors, and released it would set back down on the brackets.

bfd

Staff member
for normal use broaching, bending, setting bearings, low pressure use the press doesn't move. it does move when I try to max it out ( 20 tons) but it doesn't take much to hold it still bill

Surprman

Active User
Registered
I used two braking casters on one side. Even with the brakes off it seems stable enough.

C

cg285

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
Mike,

True, but I have found that locking casters are a pain to deal with and are not nearly as free from movement as I'd like. I have the room too, mine is mounted on rubber leveling pads. I can visualize fighting press location while using it with casters, I'd struggle with that. To me it is like a vice, needs to be solid and to hold the work in one place. I can put some big and awkward parts in my press. I have on rare occasions pivoted (walked) the press on the leveling pads to gain some extra room. Now mind you, my press is only a little 12 ton HF.
my jump punch has 4 locking casters and it moves. (i do like being able to move it tho')
don't think i would want a press on wheels

jwmelvin

Registered
Registered
A couple days ago I 3d printed a knob for the release screw, which makes my press so much more convenient. I posted it here if you would like one.

[6]
[5] [7]