20 Ton Shop Press

Bill,

How tall is it? Any idea of approximate weight?

Regards,
Terry

Terry,
The press is 6’-6” tall and 36”wide. The main frame is constructed from 6x12 wide flange beams.
So that gives you 24” between the uprights on the width. The weight is approximately 400 lbs.

Very nice job on the press! Looks well thought out and I especially like the use of what was on hand. I guess you could say its a very im press ive project

A great build, About 25 30 years ago I built one of similar size while working on an oil tanker ship. Of necessity it had to be able to be dismantled so that it could be hauled by manpower from one end of the ship to the other. So it was many large bolts and nuts holding it together. When dismantled the heaviest part was about 50kg. It was a little over 2m tall with a max usable height of 1.6. and 1m between the side columns 20t capacity provided by a powerpack cylinder. It never got painted and didn't have any fancy winches or springs it was very basic but when needed it did the job. Unfortunately no pictures.

A great build and superbly finished.

Really nice, love the yellow. When your ready to boost up the power, let me know. I have several main lift hydraulic cylinders, new take offs from forktrucks. Around 28-36" stroke and a Big rod, 3" I think. The things must weight 80 pounds.

Bill how did you get such a nice even yellow shade? I tried painting a small part with Rustoleum sunflower yellow and it took about
4 freaking coats to get decent coverage- Did you use the red rusty primer first? Or the gray stuff maybe?
Mark

Bill how did you get such a nice even yellow shade? I tried painting a small part with Rustoleum sunflower yellow and it took about
4 freaking coats to get decent coverage- Did you use the red rusty primer first? Or the gray stuff maybe?
Mark
Hi Mark,
I did use a red rusty primer but also sand blasted before painting. The paint is an enamel that I had mixed up a few years ago to paint some skid steer attachments that I rebuilt. Trying to use up what I have laying around.

Back